Speaker distortion

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

plookit

Speaker distortion

Post by plookit »

I made a Vox AC15 clone amp some years ago and finally got it into a cabinet last week and I have a nasty speaker distortion/rattle vibration. Would anyone recognise what the issue might be from this short clip. I’ve tried three good speakers and they all do the same so it must be the amp. The sound files are too big for here so have put them in a folder in Dropbox called Distortion problem. Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sw1w09svquva ... xzEra?dl=0
Stevem

Re: Speaker distortion

Post by Stevem »

Remove one output tube at a time and play.

Does the sound quality stay the same, or do you loose output totally when one of the two tubes are removed?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Mr moderator, should this string get moved to the Vox section seeing as his speaker is not the issue?

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
plookit

Post by plookit »

Stevem wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:55 am Remove one output tube at a time and play.

Does the sound quality stay the same, or do you loose output totally when one of the two tubes are removed?
Thank you for your reply. I have located half of the problem, unused (not anchored) captive nuts for the rattle and fizz and I think the squeal is to do with the variable voltage regulator I put in. If I don’t max out the volume it does not do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

That's a small chassis if it's like a original one to try and implement a power scaling circuit if that's what your referring to?
You may need to work up a copper shield.

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Stevem wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:57 am Mr moderator, should this string get moved to the Vox section seeing as his speaker is not the issue?
agreed and moved.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
plookit

Post by plookit »

Stevem wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:41 pm That's a small chassis if it's like a original one to try and implement a power scaling circuit if that's what your referring to?
You may need to work up a copper shield.
Can you tell me a bit more about this please. I added a variable voltage regulator which lowers the b+. It is effective for lower volume distortion but I suspect it’s the cause of the squealing when I have the volume on full (VVR not being used). I have used an authentic reproduction of the AC15 chassis. I wonder if I should take that out as I don’t hear the ‘chime’ either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.