Can Top Boost Be Added to the Vib/Trem Channel?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

928GT

Can Top Boost Be Added to the Vib/Trem Channel?

Post by 928GT »

I have a JMI AC15 with an EF86 channel, and a Vib/Trem channel - it is a replica of a 1960 model I believe.

Is it possible to add Top Boost to the Vib/Trem channel? I was thinking I could add it after the the Vib/Trem volume pot, and the TB Treble-out goes to the PI grid.

However, according to all the schematics I've looked at, they are always separate channels - what are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance.
pdf64

Re: Can Top Boost Be Added to the Vib/Trem Channel?

Post by pdf64 »

It would be possible, it’s a similar scenario to Fender’s 6G series, eg https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... _schem.pdf
But the design and layout will probably need amending to keep things stable and usable.
928GT

Post by 928GT »

Thank you, let me check that out. :D
928GT

Post by 928GT »

The Top Boost was installed per my first post, and it works perfectly with no additional noise!

pdf64, thanks again for chiming in and providing the link.

I must say I was a little apprehensive because Fenders always have the tone-stack first, followed by the vibrato circuit, whereas my idea was to have the vibrato circuit first, followed by the tone-stack. Thankfully, it does work.

On a side-note, I'm a big BF Fender guy and love their cleans, but I am just blown away how nice the Vox cleans are - they are easily as good if not slightly better, so rich!
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Well done, kudos on your ‘can do’ approach, I’ve been meaning to give that a try for a while (on an AC30), so thanks for reporting back!
Did you insert the TB between the channel volume control and the phase splitter input?
Photos?
928GT

Post by 928GT »

Yes, I inserted the TB at the middle wiper of the Vib/Trem volume pot (R30), and, the TB's treble-pot middle-wiper to the input of the .01 cap (C28) leading to the PI grid.

Resistor and cap numbers are from the:

VOX
NO. V-1-5
VOX AC-15 AMPLIFIER

...schematic.

I will be happy to provide pictures later.