cbass

Re: Cone Cry - can it be tamed?

Post by cbass »

You need dope
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REZON-EX-BLACK- ... 1194847341

BTW, this guy also always has some interesting vintage speakers with hemp recones. I've purchased some from him with no problems.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

cbass wrote:You need dope
And he needs to treat his speakers too.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

How much will this change the frequency response of the speaker?

Is this just a speaker reacting to the freq above a certain volume or does the amp contribute?
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

In general, more controlled sounding. Quieter, less efficient.

Less vintage sounding.

The good news is it can be removed with acetone or MEK.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Had this trouble with my Fane Alnico I bought around the new year. I figured there had to be some way to correct it, but IMHO a $300 speaker should be perfect, so I sent it back. Good to hear it's not too hard to fix. I'll definitely try this out if I should have the problem again. :)
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Spoke with Celestion and they advised tweaking the screws and also reducing the internal volume or a thicker grill cloth to squash the resonance. Sounds a bit more subtle modification than the dope so I will give it a try.

95% of my playing is low volume and the tone of the golds [12 & 10] are beautiful at that level.

They also mentioned that air conditioning dries out the cone more. Since I live in one of the air conditioning capitals of the world - Dallas Texas, the dryness isn't going to get better until mid October. I asked about misting the cone - don't think they found any humor in that.

I'll post findings - thanks for all of the responses.

[/u]
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I don't know if you are aware or not, if you are tweaking screws be very careful. Speaker mounting screws that are too tight will warp the basket. The screws need to be a snug fit, but not good 'n' tight. Be very gentle and err on the side of making them not tight enough. Do your best to tighten them evenly all around. A torque wrench with a screw driver bit would be nice to have here if we only knew the correct amount of torque!
Rocket Cab

Post by Rocket Cab »

Phil_S wrote:I don't know if you are aware or not, if you are tweaking screws be very careful. Speaker mounting screws that are too tight will warp the basket. The screws need to be a snug fit, but not good 'n' tight. Be very gentle and err on the side of making them not tight enough. Do your best to tighten them evenly all around. A torque wrench with a screw driver bit would be nice to have here if we only knew the correct amount of torque!
Hi-
First post, greetings everyone!
This. Finger snug and then a quarter turn is always a good starting point. Also check the baffle to make sure it's not warped. Cone cry with an over tightened Celestion is not uncommon.

Paul
Rocket Cab
Custom Pine Speaker Cabinets
www.soundsriteaudio.com
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

I'll post what I tell clients to do.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/mount.html

How to install your speakers for maximum tonal enjoyment.

When mounting your speakers, use caution. Vintage style frames (thinner) require that you mount the speakers using an X pattern method.

A) Tighten all bolts/screws finger tight till the bolt meets back of the speaker frame.

B) Hand tighten in a cross frame or X pattern like a head gasket on a car engine. DO NOT TIGHTEN in a clock-wise circular fashion as you can warp the frame.

C) Tighten 1/4 turn on each bolt in an X pattern in one pass, then the other 1/4 to 1/2 successive turns in successive passes. This will compress the gasket enough to ensure a proper seal, and without warping the frame. I recommend no more than 1 full turn after the bolt meets the back of the frame, usually 2/3 to 3/4 is good.

Failure to do this could result in a damaged cone, bent frame, or unusually high shrill, or muddy bass noises from over-tightening.

DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL SET TO A TORQUE SETTING!
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
Jerry2013

Post by Jerry2013 »

I bought one of the Italian ALnico Jensens used. For all intents it was perfect, but when you cranked the volume, its had a awful cone cry. I figured it was the inherent lack of quality of the speaker, which would be about the same for all of them, and I've never bought another since
I really like the Jensen C12K Ceramic 100 watt though . It really captures the essence of an old ceramic Jensen IMO. I have one and its a very good speaker in all ways, especially considering msot old Jensens are toast nowwhen pushed at high volume..
Mad Gooper- must be stopped before I Goop again!