Colorful patterned tolex

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampmike

Colorful patterned tolex

Post by ampmike »

Hey Fellas,Some amp cabs from like Milkman and some pedal board guys have used some really cool tolex.Im thinking best way to describe it would be a south western pattern.Zig Zag colerful stribes.Very almost like Mexican blanket look.Anybody got any links for odd tolex other than just the same old straight up one color deal.Appreciate any leads,Thanks Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
M Fowler

Re: Colorful patterned tolex

Post by M Fowler »

Milkman is using a custom cabinet shop and it looks like they use cloth for those wild coverings in addition to tolex material on their custom cabs.
Ken Moon

Re: Colorful patterned tolex

Post by Ken Moon »

If you have a good-sized fabric store near you, they usually have vinyl upholstery fabric in all sorts of colors and patterns.

If you search for "vinyl upholstery fabric" on Amazon, you'll get over 4,000 choices.

There are a lot of online stores that have it also, like fabric.com.

It takes some trial and error to find a good backing (this varies widely) and amount of stretchiness. But many, including some called "marine vinyl" are just like the tolex we are used to, or very close.

And Kayline in Trenton, NJ is (I'm pretty sure) the biggest US supplier of tolex to commercial amp companies. They sold me some beautiful "Gibson/Mesa" black tolex at a great price, but I had to get 500 feet (1/2 a roll).