Favourite 12" speakers?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Favourite 12" speakers?

Post by Mark »

I'm somewhat out of the loop when it comes to new and vintage repro speakers. I realise that speakers come in and out of vogue all the time. Weber speakers come to mind, they were the wonder speakers and they eventually fell from favour, (BTW I have a couple of Weber speakers and they seem fine.)

What speakers are finding favour with users of late?

Thanks for your input.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Re: Favourite 12" speakers?

Post by M Fowler »

Mark,

For me it's WGS Veteran 30 a darker flavor of the Celestion Vintage 30, I use this speaker for just about everything Fender, Trainwreck & Marshall.

For Dumbles I use EVM12L or WGS ET-65 and have not yet tried WGS version of the 12L.

The Celestion Alnico Gold and Blue are fantastic speakers but so far I have only used them with my Dr Z Stangray and my clone of the Dr Z Zwreck.

Mark F
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Emminence Delta Pro12A
Emminence Cannabis Rex
Emminence Red, White and Blues
Emminence Texas Heat

Warehouse WGS ET-65

Weber 12F150 for vintage Fender mid scooped tone
Last edited by 10thTx on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Best 12 inch speaker for an 50w ODS overdrive sound I've found is the Celestion classic lead 80 16 ohm in the oval backed cab. Lovely speaker. I Like the EVM 12 S or L too with Dumble amps.

G12-65's are nice too. I've also got a pair of Jensen 40w alnicos that work well with my Rocket.

MC
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Celestion Blue and Gold for a variety of amps. EVM12L or Eminence Swamp Thang in D style. Celestion Vin 30s for lots of stuff. Two new surprises are an Eminence Texas Heat in a Small Special (great), and an Eminence Josh Smith Signature in my BFPR (superb in that amp). I have a 30 watt Weber Alnico Bluedog in a Rocket Reverb which I really like. I have limited experience with speakers, but all mentioned are keepers. I haven't liked the Celestion G12-65s until I put one in a Champ, where it shines. It's anemic in the others.
Roe

Post by Roe »

I generally use G12Ms or G12Hs. But the alessandro/eminence neo speakers work well for vintage jensen tone in a twin reverb. Also, I got a EVM 10 + jbl 110 in a tremolux cab for some twang
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I use many Weber speakers and love them. The Blue Dog especially. I've used the Cali, Chicago, and many of their 10" and 12" improved Jensen models. I've used more expensive speakers, but none i can say i liked any better. My 4 10 cab with big AlNiCo magnets sounds better than any Super Reverb I've ever heard.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I also like the WGS ET65... in an oval back cab.
I’ve been wanting to try their 10” version.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

I can't say I've had a problem with the Weber speakers. The one issue I did have was with a Signature 6" speaker, it was making some funny noises, I told Weber and they set me a new one. The new one had the same issue. I did run the speaker in for something like 30 hours but it needed a lot more time before it was okay. I can't fault Weber's service, it was the conditions surrounding the product, the speaker was good but the distortion I heard was quite weird.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Green & blackback, V30 Celestions and M75 & J75LD Scumbacks are my current crop of speakers. I tend to lean in the Marshall side of amps with a Satellite Barracuda that is the only amp I have that makes EVM12L's sit up and cry sweetly. At some point I'll get a pair.

Russ
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I think what's becoming obvious with this thread and my own experience too is; if you can, you need to try lots of different speakers with your particular amp to get the sound 'you' want. Speakers and Cabs make more of a difference to the sound than this or that capacitor/transformer do.

M
romberg

Post by romberg »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:47 am Speakers and Cabs make more of a difference to the sound than this or that capacitor/transformer do.
This is so true. I strongly doubt I could tell any difference at all between two coupling caps of the same value and different manufactures/construction. But I'm pretty sure I could easily hear the difference between two different 12" speakers.

Mike
Mark

Post by Mark »

Has anyone tried Tayden guitar speakers?

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/ta ... 3&sort=20a
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

I suspect that Tayden are no longer in business, or at least have moved to a 'custom order' basis http://www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/tayden.shtml
Myabe JFP have some left https://jpfamps.com/jpf-guitar-amp-prod ... -speakers/
A friend bought a couple a few years ago, True Brits I think, they sounded fine.
deeder

Post by deeder »

Jesse Hoff from Lazy J amps use them with his version of the 5E3 tweed Deluxe.
2203/2204-ish/Deluxe Reverb