Speaker Cabinet Handle Screws

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Speaker Cabinet Handle Screws

Post by donvan »

The recent cabinet that I built follows the Dumble dimensions and plan that can be found on this site. It's the 1 x 12 inch speaker cab with an oval opening in the back. I used 1/2 inch birch plywood with a 12 inch EV speaker. It's not light. What would you recommend for handle screws? Heavy duty wood screws? Insert Nuts with machine screws? What size?

Thanks!
GAStan

Re: Speaker Cabinet Handle Screws

Post by GAStan »

1/2" isn't much for a woodscrew to hold onto. I would recommend a T-Nut and machine screw, whatever size your handle is made for. The handles I use take #10-32.

Handle
T-Nut & screws
Glenn
donvan

Post by donvan »

Thanks Glenn, I think a T Nut is a good choice here.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

YW

I was mistaken, those are #8 screws, not #10.
Glenn
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

What is the objection to a through hole so you can use a washer and nut on the inside? That will be sure to hold the weight. If the screws are too long, they can be sawed off. This is simplest, least expensive, and sure to work as desired.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

A T-Nut is a type of insert or blind nut that fits from the other side from the screw like a standard nut. But it is permanent mount and nearly flush to the surface.
T- Nut
T- Nut
Glenn
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

T-nuts have their place. In general, I'm not particularly fond of using them. In harder woods, I find the spikes bend over too easily rather than driving into the wood. They are fine for pine and plywood. I've grown to prefer threaded inserts over T-nuts. In any case, without a compelling reason or where appearance doesn't matter, I tend to avoid them as it is more work than it's worth. This is just my opinion. Everyone can and should use whatever pleases them.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Phil, I agree people should use whatever works best for them.

T Nuts work well for me. As you said pine is a good wood to use them in and that is what I have used so far. On my head cabinets I install wood slide rails to facilitate installing the amp chassis into the cabinet. If I used standard nuts and washers they would protrude and interfere with the chassis sliding into place. T Nuts work well for me. If I try a hardwood in the future I'll probably need to find another solution, I'll certainly keep the threaded blind nuts in mind.
Glenn
donvan

Post by donvan »

Glenn,
The T Nuts worked really well. I got #10s from Home Depot.

With T Nuts you still have a hole that goes all the way through. In my opinion, they are way less hassle than a nut and washer. When installing the screw you don't have to hold the nut and washer with your other hand. When taking out the screw you don't risk the nut and washer falling into the cabinet.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Anyone use hurricane nuts?
Screenshot_20240402-221046_Brave.jpg
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.