Ods combo

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Ods combo

Post by norburybrook »

ah this is turning into a cab and dog thread :D I'm glad we;re all dog lovers :D

looking great Erwin, it will be worth it in the end :D Dowelling a great idea, no filling required :D

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Dog lover most of the times :D

Alkuz turned me to the wooden dowels after seeing some of his work.
Attachments
VID-20190611-WA0001.mp4
(5.63 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Last edited by erwin_ve on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Alkuz turned me to the wooden dowels after seeing some of his work.
LOL..my dog Willow is a Lurcher, a Greyhound/Collie cross so she has quite a lot of collie behaviour.

Sh'es back in the house now with a wet towel over her in her bed.

Alkuz tools and his methods look like he'll make perfect cabinets. perhaps one day when I'm Old(er) I'll buy these tools and do it properly....i have said i'm not going to build any more amps though.

Good work Erwin, keep us posted.

m
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 pm
Alkuz tools and his methods look like he'll make perfect cabinets. perhaps one day when I'm Old(er) I'll buy these tools and do it properly....i have said i'm not going to build any more amps though.

m
Thanks, Marcus :D

I could stand in silence like a humble guy, but I'll say - Yes, I can make perfect cabinets :D
Unfortunately here, very few people need it.

Erwin,
About how to use dowels:
The essence of my method is that first I lubricate the boards with glue and connect it with two screws from the corners. Then I drill a few holes for the dowels, right through the side Board. I drill holes a little less than the length of the dowel, so that after installation it protrudes out a little.
I put glue on the dowels and hammer them with a little effort into the holes.
After polymerization of glue, I unscrew the screws and drill holes for dowels in their place. As a result, in this Cabinet will not be excess metal, and no need to be afraid of using a router for rounding edges. After the glue is completely dry, I cut off the protruding parts of the dowels and align the surface with an abrasive.

p.s.
My wonderful dachshund Danny left me 4 years ago... He's always in my heart... :?
Last edited by alkuz1961 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oddly the video tag only works if you attach the file first, and then click the link to the file on your post, save it and then it should look something like this:

Code: Select all

[video]https://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=54853[/video]
and then it works (edited to remove the video, but leaving the example for others)

Love the dogs too I have two. Sadly one has terminal cancer :(

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Alkuz: I understand your method. I went a bit different with a mold: once the dowelspoints are drilled, I put the dowels in with glue on the verticale sides, the mold does the job as far for correct drilling points for the horizontal counterpart.
It takes a little longer but the assembly later with glue and crossbar is a bit easier as I dont have those big pricey clamps.

Phil: corrected the vid, thanks!

My dog is on fly hunting in the house and she bumped over one my Bowers &Wilkins speaker :evil: :shock:
Right now I feel no love, but in 1hr probably a little...
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

alkuz1961 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:38 pm
I could stand in silence like a humble guy, but I'll say - Yes, I can make perfect cabinets :D

p.s.
My wonderful dachshund Danny left me 4 years ago... He's always in my heart... :?
Alkuz

you're work is beautiful, really inspiring. There's a few guys on the forum who do stunning cabinet work and you're one of them :D

Danny the Dachshund :D I had two when I was a boy so I know the breed very well. Superb dogs. A big dog in a little dog's body :D

My dog is 13 now and I'm starting to realise she's not going to be with us for much longer. They're part of the family and it's a big loss when they go.

I live in South London and there's some big, hard guys around me but I've had a few in tears talking to me when their dog's depart this world.

@Phil, fortunately dogs seem to be completely in the moment and don't seem to suffer the way us humans do at the end of their lives :D I feel for you though, it's tough.

M
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah I lost another to cancer about 3 years ago, it's brutal for us, not so much for them I think, they do hide pain a bit too much though :(

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Hot weather is over and used the router. Did some testruns on scrapwood.
So far so good. When going for real I had some issues with a screw, replaced it by a bolt but the damage was done, not a perfect circle :x
Practice makes perfect I guess:
Next days more.
Attachments
WP_20190727_14_05_35_Pro.jpg
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

It doesn't need to be an exactly perfect circle as long as the speaker fits correctly. Grille cloth will cover that. :wink:
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Makerdp: I did a speaker fit, it fits without leaving any holes.
Thats positive for sure.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Almost done with woodwork. Tomorrow round the edges with a router and maybe some tolexing.
Im happy with the progress, also a bit lost with all little stupid mistakes which make the hours count.
This is way harder than doing the electronic part of the amp.
Attachments
WP_20190729_17_35_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20190729_13_09_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20190729_12_40_01_Pro.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

looking good Erwin, it will be fine one you've routed and sanded then tolexed :D

I agree , without proper tools and a workshop/garage it does take a long time to do this stuff.

M
ericlc

Post by ericlc »

I have been where you are now. Indeed with a bit of routing, sanding and tolexing you will do just fine. I would pay special attention to the sanding. Take care of dents. Tolex can cover up a lot but not everything.
Attachments
ODS reverb combo cabinet.jpg
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

I see little waves on the grill. If it is a fender-style fabric you can try to use a hairdryer. This fabric shrinks slightly when heated and similar waves can be smoothed. But first you need a little practice on small pieces of the waste!
By the way, to fix the sagging of the paper grill (like Marshall), it is enough to wet it a little.