rehousing a 62' Tremolux in a combo cabinet

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Re: rehousing a 62' Tremolux in a combo cabinet

Post by Geeze »

Here are pics of the baffle installed. I staple grill cloth to the baffle so I screw from the back. I drill and countersink the bracing before gluing into the cab. The pics are a slant cab and I put bracing on the baffle to support the 11 degree angle. A flat baffle doesn't need the additional bracing. I like the rear mounting method for the speakers. Screws are epoxied into drilled and counter sunk holes.

Attaching the amp chassis to the cab the last Fender I had [I'm not a combo fan] they used four long screws to 'hang' the chassis from the top. It has been a few years but I seem to remember there were two bits of bracing that the chassis sat on to support it. I take pics of the construction methods I like to recreate them.
Attachments
Slant finished 1 - full size (3).JPG
10x8x8 (1).JPG
overtone

Re: rehousing a 62' Tremolux in a combo cabinet

Post by overtone »

"I also would like to change the PT to remove one more thing to carry ..
What are good transformers that i could use? (i'll of course keep the original and remount it if i ever sell the amp ... ) Mercury magnetics are overrated from what you seem to say.. so is hammond the way to go ?"
  • The issue that many of us here with the MM transformers is the lack of detailed technical specification. It is like buying a cat in a sack. I have a few, but always got the EU dealer to clear up my technical questions with MM directly before ordering. These are very good transformers but the focus of the marketing borders on the insulting. Sadly that dealer in the EU has recently given up the distribution so you will have to deal and import directly.

To my knowledge there were some variations on all those Temoluxes, even within the three 6G9/6G9-A/6G9-B variants - including the power transformers. Mercury lists two HT voltages with 350-0-350V or 360-0-360V unloaded. Probably the simplest way would be to drop them an e-mail with the number stamped on the PT you have (assuming it is the right one for the amp!) and ask them which of their 240V models will match. They have three different ones which can be used with EU mains voltages.

Alternative: Classictone by Magnetic Components 40-18096 100/120/220/230/240V which is 325-0-325 at 180mA (which I read as being the loaded voltage).

You could find a Hammond here without having the hassle of the import and customs duties. Personally I would not go that route, there is much more to a PT than voltages and current capability WRT these circuits.
My advice: have this PT supplied and fitted by the good tech that you used because this subject is a minefield.

2. As far as speaker goes, i'm thinking celestion or weber, but i have no idea which model to take yet
  • As you are in Europe I would go for Celestion. I use the Blues and Golds in these older amps.
All the best, tony