Mahogany & Zebra wood 4x10 finished - finally

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Mahogany & Zebra wood 4x10 finished - finally

Post by Geeze »

Too much travel and other details - finally put the grill cloth on. Much as I bitch [all in the comfort of my garage] about the jute cloth it sure adds a nice touch to the wood.

Next project is sitting on top, found some leopard wood in Denver recently that will get built into something.

Side note - I had dinner with a cousin from California that I had not seen since '72. We talked about passions and I told him about building cabs out of exotic wood. First and only question - 'How do you know you're not using an endangered species?' The brain didn't work fast enough to give the perfect answer - 'Hell, I ONLY use endangered species!' Ah well, next time.

Russ
Attachments
Mahog Zebra  (2).JPG
Mahog Zebra  (3).JPG
Ken Moon

Re: Mahogany & Zebra wood 4x10 finished - finally

Post by Ken Moon »

Nice :D

I too found out (from a "friend") that I was using endangered Jatoba wood, that supposedly was 2,000 years old - but if a tree is hidden in the rain forest, does it make nice guitar tones? Hmm... 8)
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

Looks really nice!

FWIW there are alternatives... My "local" woodcraft sells a product called Lyptus which is supposed to be a eucalyptus hybrid that's plantation grown - so no new deforestation. It's a pretty wood, and it'll feel familiar if you're used to working with exotics.

In my case, there are enough saw mills in a 20 mile radius from me that it feels wrong to use anything other than local woods. Look in the yellow pages or talk to a local cabinet maker - there may be a few near you too (if your feeling guilty, lol).

Dan
Oo De Lally
TNblueshawk

Post by TNblueshawk »

Gorgeous.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

If the tree is already dead, it isn't endangered any more.

OK, I know, if use drives demand and they cut more of it, that's a real problem. That doesn't mean we can't use up what's already been cut.

It's too bad that people are selfish and can't sort out this issue.

Nice cab, regardless.