10" thiele anyone?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Re: 10" thiele anyone?

Post by Colossal »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:I used to own a pair of Mesa branded EVM12L Thiele cabs and loved them. I regret selling them….
What style music were you playing through them Lou?
mat

Post by mat »

Aurora wrote:The main difference between a closed and what you call a Thiele cab, will only be in the lowest half octave or so.... maybe a few more notes..
Do You mean the difference between 'thiele' and any other closed cab can be heard only on the first five frets on low E string ?
I think the deep dimension of the thiele also contributes to the sound.
mat
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

More or less - yes, - although with open back cabs there may be some interaction with reflections from the rear output. This is certainly also what sets the lower frequency response.
Open baffles, or OB's, are also somewhat popular with the HiFi crowd, but the bass output and lower freq. is generally set when the rear wave sums up in antiphase with the front wave. Further up in the frequency range, it really all determined by the element parameters.

Mr's Thiele and Small determined a way of measuring speaker parameters that enabled modeling of the behaviour of a speaker in various sorts of cab's, with different socalled 'alignments', shaping the response of the lower end as well as the impulse response.
This work has formed the basis for all modern speaker research.
The main problem with the typical guitar speakers is that the T/S parameters are rarely specified. Production spread is also reported to be fairly large.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Colossal wrote:
JazzGuitarGimp wrote:I used to own a pair of Mesa branded EVM12L Thiele cabs and loved them. I regret selling them….
What style music were you playing through them Lou?
R&B, pop, rock, and jazz.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
mat

Post by mat »

They cannot order the speaker anymore, out of production I suppose..

I'll skip the small thiele for now.

Must get back to all those unfinished buils..

LeftyStrat wrote:
mat wrote:i just ordered an:
Eminence Delta Demon, Guitar Speaker 10", 8 Ohms, 100 Watt RMS, 80 Hz - 3 kHz, closed Back, Jazz, thomann Delta Blues, Classic, Extremely balanced, dark, creamy smooth tone

will see how that one works..
Let us know how it works out.
mat
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

The reason why Theile/Small parameters are rarely quoted for guitar
speakers is because ported enclosures are not the best way to go for a guitar cab. I'm not saying a person can't like what a ported cab sounds like for guitar but, with their high free air resonance, the type of compliance(surround) they have.most guitar speakers are not designed for ported boxes..IMHO most of the time youll do better will a nicely made sealed or semi-open back cab. Keep in mind the whole idea of porting is to extend response in the lowest octave, which always
sacrifices efficiency and some output in the midbass. The lower a system goes the lower the efficiency the system will have. Also designers of ported enclosures want to get "flat" response. "flat" doesnt sound good for guitar.....acoustic guitar-maybe.....The EVM 12L was originally a sound reinforcement speaker, later used by guitarists because they are almost
blow up proof. They were designed for a ported box.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

mat wrote:They cannot order the speaker anymore, out of production I suppose..

I'll skip the small thiele for now.

Must get back to all those unfinished buils..

Dammit. I have some EV 10M and Force 10s that are looking for homes. Was hoping to leech your plans. I am a huge fan of EV 12L in TL boxes for recording. For live use - not so much. Hard to find the sweet spot for hearing them on stage. Have 2 loaded boxes that have been going strong since the late 70s.
Attachments
tl.jpg
mjtripper

Post by mjtripper »

ev has published plans for the 10" just like the 12" but I can't think of the name of it right now.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I built a 2x10 Thiele by scaling the 806 plans to 80% [internal volume] for the challenge. Also because my 4x10 weighs more than I want to drag around. I'm smiling as I write this as I remember the Ampeg V4 with 4 Altec 417s - what I wimp I have become.

I built an 806 for a EV12L a few months ago and frankly was underwhelmed. It sounds good at all volumes but not a cosmic experience as I have seen posted [with 3 different amps as well]. My current favorite is the Celestion gold series [12 & 10] and it sounded better to me. I'm not an EV speaker fan but enjoy speakers that add their own flair.

I have come to believe the enclosure is not as important as the amp/speaker interaction. I wonder about the dynamic contrast between 'Producing' the sound via LoFi equipment and 'Reproducing' the sound via HiFi.
Attachments
2x10 internals.JPG
rooster

Post by rooster »

Um....you do not want a speaker for guitar that only extends to 3K - you lucked out to find that speaker was out of production.

Here's what I know about EV speakers frequency response.....

EV12S: 60/7K Hz
EV12L: 60/6K Hz
EV15L: 60/6K Hz
EV15B: 50/5K Hz

My point here is that the Theile box is going to perform as intended with a speaker that delivers similar Hz qualities. Also note, reading the EV literature, the 12S, 12L and 15L were all created for guitar use.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

rooster wrote:Um....you do not want a speaker for guitar that only extends to 3K - you lucked out to find that speaker was out of production.

Here's what I know about EV speakers frequency response.....

EV12S: 60/7K Hz
EV12L: 60/6K Hz
EV15L: 60/6K Hz
EV15B: 50/5K Hz

My point here is that the Theile box is going to perform as intended with a speaker that delivers similar Hz qualities. Also note, reading the EV literature, the 12S, 12L and 15L were all created for guitar use.
Those frequency reponse quotes are misleading at best...at those extremes those speakers are way down in response relative to the midrange, well over 10db down!