How to improve a 1960a Marshall cab

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gibsonman63

Re: How to improve a 1960a Marshall cab

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I got lucky last year and scored a Sour Mash cabinet loaded with brittish made Celestion Greenbacks off of CL for $360. It is very well built compared to the 90's Marshall cabinets I was using (13-ply baltic birch construction, metal handles and hardware, etc...). I am sure there are other builders who make a quality cabient.
billyz

Re: 4/12

Post by billyz »

ampmike wrote:Hey B,I want to find a marshall 4/12 this year and wanted to know if the newer ones are made of birch ply or partical board.I have a 2/12 thats mayby 10 years old and its flake board inside,but it sounds great.I just didnt know if marshall stuck with plywood as a standard or not.There is something in the sound of a 4/12 that makes my wrecks sound the best.I have a borrowed one here.Also the slant like yours is what Im after as well.Your cab is exactly what I would like to get,love the grill cloth.Mikey
It is mostly plywood . The back is particle board, they have been since the 70's I believe. The frame around the baffle front is pressboard and the piece that the center post is glued to also. The tolex is thinner than the old one.
I have seen the plastic input jack with circuit board get toasted and damaged.
That's the reason I over soldered all the traces and connections.
Marshall has used 18ga speaker wire for years as well.
The only real issue is the horrible sounding g12t75 celestions.
Jim from Scumback sold me a pair of older green backs g12m reconed with his 75hz parts, and a nice pair of g12m Blackbacks with his 55hz kit.
I think I like the Blackbacks 55hz a tad better. Together it sounds great.
I sold the g12t75 for 50 ea. so the cab cost me $100. Could not have built one for that.
You should ask Miles , he is the resident Marshall fountain of knowledge. I know I picked up a few tips from hiim, even though I'm still gonna do it my way :)

Oh,
Mojo had the best price on the grill cloth. Nice color too. Easy to work with.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've never owned a Marshall cab but I do own 3 Peavey 412 cabs why because they are $150 used and made of plywood throughout. I load them with Vintage 30's and enjoy.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Wow, you did a great job on that cab Billy.

Love the checkerboard.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Cab regrill and handles came out good! Glad to hear those old Celestion frames are getting a new lease on life after being rebuilt, too. Flog 'em sir!
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
roknroll

Re: 4/12

Post by roknroll »

billyz wrote:
ampmike wrote:Hey B,I want to find a marshall 4/12 this year and wanted to know if the newer ones are made of birch ply or partical board.I have a 2/12 thats mayby 10 years old and its flake board inside,but it sounds great.I just didnt know if marshall stuck with plywood as a standard or not.There is something in the sound of a 4/12 that makes my wrecks sound the best.I have a borrowed one here.Also the slant like yours is what Im after as well.Your cab is exactly what I would like to get,love the grill cloth.Mikey
It is mostly plywood . The back is particle board, they have been since the 70's I believe. The frame around the baffle front is pressboard and the piece that the center post is glued to also. The tolex is thinner than the old one.
I have seen the plastic input jack with circuit board get toasted and damaged.
That's the reason I over soldered all the traces and connections.
Marshall has used 18ga speaker wire for years as well.
The only real issue is the horrible sounding g12t75 celestions.
Jim from Scumback sold me a pair of older green backs g12m reconed with his 75hz parts, and a nice pair of g12m Blackbacks with his 55hz kit.
I think I like the Blackbacks 55hz a tad better. Together it sounds great.
I sold the g12t75 for 50 ea. so the cab cost me $100. Could not have built one for that.
You should ask Miles , he is the resident Marshall fountain of knowledge. I know I picked up a few tips from hiim, even though I'm still gonna do it my way :)

Oh,
Mojo had the best price on the grill cloth. Nice color too. Easy to work with.
First let me say that everyone is entitled to their opinion and all ears hear things differently. You can put your nose up or think I don't know what good tone is, that's ok. But, IMHO a pair of english g12t-75's have been and always will have a home on one side of one of my marshall 412 cabs. Whenever I get the opportunity I play a little secret game with customers and friends who I know from past conversations have stated their dislike for g12t-75 speakers. After repairing, modifying their amps, or trying out one of my own builds I always plug in to the marshall cab side with the g12t-75's without ever saying what speakers they are listening to. Well, after they have mindlessly wanked for 15 minutes or so I offer them a tissue to wipe the uncontrolled drool dripping from the corner of their mouths.. Then they often say their amp has never sounded so good - what speakers are in that cabinet? Then I lay the news on them.