Fader Knob Between Two Pairs Of Speakers?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Meat&Beer

Re: Fader Knob Between Two Pairs Of Speakers?

Post by Meat&Beer »

Hi Lamont, and welcome!

The amp and PSU chassis are still on a shelf awaiting future builds. Plural, because there are two PT's and three OT's total with this cache. That, and with the tube compliment that came with, not a heck of a lot of money need be sunk into them. Lots of projects way ahead of those, though, so I really haven't even given them much thought.

The speakers are okay, my cabinet was a little dark sounding. Probably could've used a cap like we implement for a bright switch on the rheostat. I'm not certain what these speakers sound like unimpeded, without the way I had it wired up. Probably not too shabby, I'd imagine.

Are you still looking to use it with an organ, but pull double duty with it as a guitar amp? An organ amplifier is designed for an organ. If you want it to be a guitar amp, there's work to be done. It'll need a whole "front end". (Or, the preamp, which is everything before the power amp, that which starts with the phase inverter.)

These tone cabinets are technically 3 power amps that output to different speakers within the cabinet.

On the technical discussion page, there's a sticky called "Ultimate Hammond Conversions Thread". Check that out to get an idea of what's in store in case you decide to take the plunge. Here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24331

The sky's the limit if you want to make it into a guitar amp. Just ask yourself, what kind of amp do you want? You can start your own thread if you'd like, and the awesome people of this community will no doubt help and guide you, as long as you're willing to learn, exercise great CAUTION, and be patient.

Cheers, all the best!
Lamont

Re: Fader Knob Between Two Pairs Of Speakers?

Post by Lamont »

Thanks Meat and Beer,
I thought I could buy a good stand alone pre amp, and then plug into the new inputs on the PR-20 cab?
I think I have to wire those inputs carefully, and have the signal amplified? before cab input ? to match the signal that would normally come from the organ?

Thank you for the ultimate conversion thread, I'll check it out next chance I have to visit this cool site,

Lamont