Speaker for a Princeton Reverb

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doc W

Speaker for a Princeton Reverb

Post by Doc W »

I am looking for a speaker for my early 70s PR. Right now, I have a D-123 in it which has a presence and sparkle that I just love but I can't get past 3 1/2 on the volume knob. I know that some PR's have a flub out problem but this one has been modded to correct that. When I used it with an Eminence Lil Texas 12", I can go from clean to overdriven with no problems.

I play a Telecaster and I am really looking for that sparklingly clean Don Rich kind of sound, but I also want it to handle a bit of overdrive without getting spikey.

I am thinking of either the Weber California 10, ceramic with paper dome, or the Weber Neomag 10 with paper dome. The Neomag sounds great on paper but the warning about highs makes me a little nervous.

Do any of you have experience with either of these speakers, or are there any other suggestions?

PS, I can't afford a D-110F.
Teleguy61

Re: Speaker for a Princeton Reverb

Post by Teleguy61 »

I have never used a Weber Neomag 10, but I have 3 Neomag 12s.
I have one 12 with a paper dome, and one aluminum dome I have converted to a paper dome, because I Liked the paper dome so much.
They are very efficient, like a JBL, but the paper takes the "ting" out of the notes. Still brighter than a regular ceramic, but somewhat tamed.
You can call Weber and talk it over with them, I think you'll find them helpful.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

For a Princeton, I really like an EVM12L classic in a separate 1x12. Sounds huge. It is a very efficient speaker, but what a sound.
Doc W

Post by Doc W »

Colossal wrote:For a Princeton, I really like an EVM12L classic in a separate 1x12. Sounds huge. It is a very efficient speaker, but what a sound.
I have heard that this is a great speaker but for portability reasons, I don't want a separate cab right now. However, while we are talking about that speaker, how do you think it would sound in a DR? Keep in mind that I am looking for that bright sparkle and lotsa twang.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Doc W wrote:
Colossal wrote:For a Princeton, I really like an EVM12L classic in a separate 1x12. Sounds huge. It is a very efficient speaker, but what a sound.
I have heard that this is a great speaker but for portability reasons, I don't want a separate cab right now. However, while we are talking about that speaker, how do you think it would sound in a DR? Keep in mind that I am looking for that bright sparkle and lotsa twang.
I think even in the combo cabinet, the EV would be a nice choice. It sounds fuller and deeper in the bass and sweet and clear in the top end. I think it is good that you modded your amp for less flatulence. The sparkle and twang will be there from the guitar and amp and this will translate through to the speaker. When the amp goes into overdrive, it has a very musical horn like quality that sounds almost Dumbley. I had a Princeton Reverb clone in for service with a 12" Eminence Legend and the EV just blew it away. To be fair however, the EV was in an external open backed cab with about 30% open area. The Eminence did not sound bad per se, it was just anemic sounding in the low end, and not as loud as the EV.
Doc W

Post by Doc W »

Colossal wrote:
Doc W wrote:
I think even in the combo cabinet, the EV would be a nice choice. It sounds fuller and deeper in the bass and sweet and clear in the top end. I think it is good that you modded your amp for less flatulence. The sparkle and twang will be there from the guitar and amp and this will translate through to the speaker. When the amp goes into overdrive, it has a very musical horn like quality that sounds almost Dumbley. I had a Princeton Reverb clone in for service with a 12" Eminence Legend and the EV just blew it away. To be fair however, the EV was in an external open backed cab with about 30% open area. The Eminence did not sound bad per se, it was just anemic sounding in the low end, and not as loud as the EV.
Thanks, Colossal. So the EVM 12L will actually fit in a Princeton Reverb cab? The Eminence Lil Texas did but there was no room left, not even for paint ( a slight exaqggeration).
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Doc W wrote:Thanks, Colossal. So the EVM 12L will actually fit in a Princeton Reverb cab? The Eminence Lil Texas did but there was no room left, not even for paint ( a slight exaqggeration).
Hey Doc,

You know, I have not actually tried that speaker in a real Princeton combo cabinet, so honestly, I can't tell you if it will fit. It has a large frame, so best to consult the drawings from EV for the 12ML. I recently sold a 1x12 loaded with an 8R EVM12L to a local player (he plays a Tele too). He loves it so much, he got a head cab for his '65 Princeton chassis.
billyz

Post by billyz »

If you dont want to mod the baffle or make a new one for a 12" the Jensen Jet tornado 10" is a good choice. nice warm bottom punch and sweeter top than the jbl. And very light weight. good efficiency too.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Mojo sells a replacement 12" baffle for Princetons, with the grill cloth already installled:

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/ampli ... BI2dfldWSo

This would greatly expand your speaker choices.
Doc W

Post by Doc W »

Ken Moon wrote:Mojo sells a replacement 12" baffle for Princetons, with the grill cloth already installled:

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/ampli ... BI2dfldWSo

This would greatly expand your speaker choices.
Thanks, Ken. The baffle I have accommodates either a 10 or a 12 so that isn't the issue. The problem is that the PR cab is not that big and it is a bit of a wrestling match to get a 12 in there. Like I said, the Lil Texas barely fit.
Doc W

Post by Doc W »

Teleguy61 wrote:I have never used a Weber Neomag 10, but I have 3 Neomag 12s.
I have one 12 with a paper dome, and one aluminum dome I have converted to a paper dome, because I Liked the paper dome so much.
They are very efficient, like a JBL, but the paper takes the "ting" out of the notes. Still brighter than a regular ceramic, but somewhat tamed.
You can call Weber and talk it over with them, I think you'll find them helpful.
How do the Neomags respond when you push the amp? I have heard that they don't handle amp breakup very well and can become very harsh. I like to play clean but there are occasions when I also like to put a bit of fur on the note by pushing the amp.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Doc W wrote:
Teleguy61 wrote:I have never used a Weber Neomag 10, but I have 3 Neomag 12s.
How do the Neomags respond when you push the amp? I have heard that they don't handle amp breakup very well and can become very harsh. I like to play clean but there are occasions when I also like to put a bit of fur on the note by pushing the amp.
They were Ted's Neo take on a JBL, and they respond very much as a JBL would is my take.
I'm a big JBL fan and long time user, so they work fine for me.
I play mostly Tele, some Strat these days, have one with paper cap in a sorta Rocket build, one with paper cap in an AO-35/Ghia build.
I play mostly clean, but push to the edge and they sound good.
Plus they can take the heat.
I have also used them in a TL806 cab with a D-clone and they worked fine for that.
BIG Dave

Post by BIG Dave »

I have three Princetons ('63 no reverb, '78 PR and a '79 PR). When not plugging into a 4x12, my favorite Princeton speaker is the Celestion Gold 10".
BIG Dave: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '68 Marshall 4x12, '71 Marshall JMP50, etc...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

https://wgs4.com/all-products

Has a good selection of 10" speakers.