New build TL806 loaded with VIntage EVM12L and EVI12L

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: New build TL806 loaded with VIntage EVM12L and EVI12L

Post by norburybrook »

Phil_S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm This thread has given me the jones to build one. I did a layout on a 5'x5' sheet of baltic birch plywood. It looks like I can get 2 cabs and have some nice leftovers. Questions:
1) Did I miss something or this doesn't require that much plywood?
2) The EVM12L is just too expensive for my taste. Is there something else that works reasonably well in the >$100 range? I'm open to used/eBay.
3) Re: #2, I don't have anything powerful enough for a 200W speaker. Most of my amps are in the 20W and under range, thought I have a JTM45 (EL34) clone and a tweed bassman clone (6L6). Is there some magic to the 200W speaker? I'm concerned I won't drive it hard enough.
4) It seems like the unloaded weight will be about 35 pounds. Does that seem right? This is more than I expected somehow.
5) If I do this, I'll probably sell the 2nd one, naked, baffle cut for a 12". Any opinions what a fair price is? I'll guess shipping at around $35 due to weight and size.
Thanks.
they are small but heavy as there's a lot of baffling/porting etc which adds to the weight.

I've had good results with the old Peavey black widow speakers, they're high power and sound good in this cab. You might pick one up cheap as they're not really popular.

Marcus
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

You may be able to cut weight using appleply or one of the other lightweight plywoods.
Last edited by TUBEDUDE on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Phil_S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm 2) The EVM12L is just too expensive for my taste. Is there something else that works reasonably well in the >$100 range? I'm open to used/eBay.
3) Re: #2, I don't have anything powerful enough for a 200W speaker. Most of my amps are in the 20W and under range, thought I have a JTM45 (EL34) clone and a tweed bassman clone (6L6). Is there some magic to the 200W speaker? I'm concerned I won't drive it hard enough.
4) It seems like the unloaded weight will be about 35 pounds. Does that seem right? This is more than I expected somehow.
5) If I do this, I'll probably sell the 2nd one, naked, baffle cut for a 12". Any opinions what a fair price is? I'll guess shipping at around $35 due to weight and size.
Thanks.
Hi Phil,

I wouldn't get too fussed about the 200 watt rating on the EV and 'small' amps - it is designed to faithfully produce everything your amp is giving it without adding color to the sound. I'd be patient and snag a used one from a reputable vendor. As for the naked box I'd be at least in the $200 range 'cuz I'm a tightass who hates giving stuff away. I'd also be open to trades - I'd moved a few cabs that way and been happy - trade it for an EVM12L.

I built one from edge glued clear pine and a 2x12 version from maple.

Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Thanks, Russ. That seems like sensible advice. I lack the experience and technical background to know when I'm moving in the wrong direction. Sometimes what seems logical just isn't. I don't want to put in the effort for a mediocre result. I think I know a local source for the plywood. The last place I got some closed down ;-{.

As long as one sheet is enough for 2, I might be able to do this for almost nothing.

Thanks everyone else, too for the speaker advice.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

I am a huge fan of EV loaded TL boxes and have owned a pair since the 70's. They record like a dream and can tell you if your amp build has a problem in the low or high end. Also modified the plan to be a little wider and less deep to mate to a 20" wide bass head I used to gig with. I have found it to sound decent with many different drivers but, definitely excels with a 12L.
Attachments
TL.JPG
andresound

Post by andresound »

norburybrook wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:02 am have any of you guys who've built TL806 cabs used acoustic wadding inside as per the plans?

I haven't but I'm curious if it makes much difference as I'm about to put an order in to Tube town and I can stick this on the order.

M
I put insulation in mine. If using a EVM or EVI, this is advised. The cab was designed around the use of insulation, to produce a flat frequency response
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
rogb

Post by rogb »

Phil_S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm This thread has given me the jones to build one. I did a layout on a 5'x5' sheet of baltic birch plywood. It looks like I can get 2 cabs and have some nice leftovers. Questions:
1) Did I miss something or this doesn't require that much plywood?
2) The EVM12L is just too expensive for my taste. Is there something else that works reasonably well in the >$100 range? I'm open to used/eBay.
Thanks.
Still like my 150w Swamp Thang in the TL806. I tried a 12L but at lower levels, not so much. The Swamp is a fair bit lighter too.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

I also have read about these a lot over the years but never built one. I just stumbled upon a pair of KK Audio cabs that measure correctly. I'll probably replace the ugly carpet and grills.......

Here they are with my Marshall Major - the table they are on is bowing under the weight! May have to warn the neighbors......
Attachments
IMG_4371.JPG
---------
Bryan
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sonicmojo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:26 am I also have read about these a lot over the years but never built one. I just stumbled upon a pair of KK Audio cabs that measure correctly. I'll probably replace the ugly carpet and grills.......

Here they are with my Marshall Major - the table they are on is bowing under the weight! May have to warn the neighbors......
Now that is some BEEF! :) love it!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

eminence EM12 is supposed to be a knock off. Warehouse makes one as well, WGS12L. weber, too. i say stick some type of neodymium in there.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

The Eminence EM12 can be had at CE Distribution new for $97.50
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture