Good Cheap Paint @ Won't Surrender to Every Known Solvent?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The New Steve H

Good Cheap Paint @ Won't Surrender to Every Known Solvent?

Post by The New Steve H »

For the last week, I have been engaged in supremely annoying work on the front panel of a head. The plan was to paint it white and then slap some cream-colored vinyl fabric over it.

I primed it and painted it. I decided to use Weldwood to hold the fabric down, instead of wimping out and using Super 77 spray. When I applied the Weldwood, off came the paint, leaving only primer.

Great.

I started over. This time I used white primer and no paint, and I hosed it liberally with Super 77 instead of using Weldwood. I did apply Weldwood to little problem areas, but not enough to cause paint problems.

Here is the question: is there an easily applied, cheap, nice-looking paint out there that won't slide off immediately as soon as any solvent hits it?

Before you ask why I have Weldwood instead of tolex glue, I had a weird allergic reaction which, I think, was caused by neoprene, and tolex glue is neoprene-based.

I am thinking maybe I should invest in some truck bed paint. That stuff is amazing.
Attachments
02 24 16 wingman amp in nearly finished cab without nameplate.jpg
Relax. It's SUPPOSED to smoke a little.
Geeze

Re: Good Cheap Paint @ Won't Surrender to Every Known Solvent?

Post by Geeze »

Maybe. Part of it depends on what the paint base is. Water based [latex, etc] can take 2 weeks to cure vs. many of the oil based paints can cure in 12-48 hours depending if there is a drying agent like Japan drier for instance. This is why paint peels or 'chips' as the under layer is not dry. Benjamin Moore had just released a primer that would stick to glass and was great for trim in kid infested areas.

You may look for an epoxy sealer - I've seen some [it's been about 10 years since I have been a painter contractor] sealers that were tinted to give a white washed effect - that might be an visually interesting sub layer to the cloth. As usual the more effective products need lots of ventilation - this is a brute force application, not an earth friendly one.

Russ
The New Steve H

Post by The New Steve H »

If patience is in any way involved, I am out of the equation. I worked on my last cabinet for at least two weeks, and by the time the cloth went on the front panel, I was ready to be done with it!

Thanks for the tips on curing times.

I think the answers are 1) consider using opaque fabrics, and 2) get some white truck bed paint. It dries fast and seems to stick to anything, and it's really tough.
Relax. It's SUPPOSED to smoke a little.
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

It depends a lot on paint solvent and adhesive solvent types.

1) any water based paint is weak on metal and easy to strip off with almost anything.

2) standard synthetic/oil based paint , the kind that takes hurs just to stop being sticky and gives out a oungent "fresh paint" odour for days, wrinkles and flakes off under any solvent, period.

3) I paint my aluminum front panels (tough act) with Nitro or Acrylic base , solvent: car paint Thinner mainly because they dry fast and smooth and as a side bonus are not attacked by neoprene adhesive solvents, but although they usually dry by evaporation in 30 minutes, I let them rest overnight for maimum adhesion (wha takes up to a year for oil based paitts because they cure by oidation from ambient air).

If you carry your chassis or front panel to any car body shop they will paint it for you for peanuts; to boot they often have gorgeous colours available.

Sand Blasting the front panel or chassis or scratching its surface with some wire brush enhances adhesion big time, they will know all about it.
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice looking cab, Steve.

What is behind the hole?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo