Curly Maple 1936 build

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Curly Maple 1936 build

Post by Geeze »

Just had to have a matching 1936 for the curly 1987. Walnut corners and piping. Had a train wreck with the finger joint jig [thus the ARTFUL insertion of more wood in the center of the top] and built a new one with aluminum on all of the bearing guides and the key. Beautiful even fingers that slide together with no effort and are tight.

I experimented with Chernobyl strength tea as a wash to enhance the grain and while it looked muddy by itself when the oil hit it - POP! This Sunday is jam day so I'll get to blast the Scumback M & H75's in it.

Russ
Attachments
DSC_0157.JPG
DSC_0151.JPG
DSC_0148.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG
DSC_0141.JPG
stretch2011

Re: Curly Maple 1936 build

Post by stretch2011 »

I am officially jealous....
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

That's a truly beautiful amp and cab.

I hope you've got covers/cases for them :D

MC
NickC

Post by NickC »

Drool worthy! 8)
Garthhog

Post by Garthhog »

Nice. When I get some free time I need to visit the exotic wood distributor here in town.
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Garthhog wrote:Nice. When I get some free time I need to visit the exotic wood distributor here in town.
Wood World behind TI - 75/635 facility. Open every day. That's my main wood crack house.

What's in McKinney?

Russ
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

That's really good to know. We have one on the Fort Worth side, down by 121 just east of 35W. Forget the name.
Ron
Garthhog

Post by Garthhog »

Geeze wrote:
Garthhog wrote:Nice. When I get some free time I need to visit the exotic wood distributor here in town.
Wood World behind TI - 75/635 facility. Open every day. That's my main wood crack house.

What's in McKinney?

Russ
http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
Garthhog

Post by Garthhog »

I have been getting my baltic birch ply from Wood World. I just wish they would stock it in 4'x8' sheets rather than 5'x5' sheets. They are a bit more expensive than Hardwood Lumber Co. by the 121-35E junction, but by the time I drive over there I lost most of my savings in gas.
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Garthhog wrote:I just wish they would stock it in 4'x8' sheets rather than 5'x5' sheets.
5x5 sheets explained here, almost half way down. Other interesting information on Baltic Birch, too. http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/t ... to-use-it/
Garthhog

Post by Garthhog »

Phil_S wrote:
Garthhog wrote:I just wish they would stock it in 4'x8' sheets rather than 5'x5' sheets.
5x5 sheets explained here, almost half way down. Other interesting information on Baltic Birch, too. http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/t ... to-use-it/
At Hardwood Lumber in Dallas they stock 4'x8' sheets. I don't know where they source those from. I guess that if I but the 5'x5' sheets there is a higher likelihood of being authentic.
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
cbass

Post by cbass »

The 4x8 sheets are likely to be Chinese . certainly not as nice as BB but it's supposed to be void free .!it's what I use to build miost of my kitchen cabinets with ID look for the prowood brand.I picked up some import birch once that delaminated as i cut it.
For something like a guitar cab I don't think the cost savings is even worth considering China birch.
Garthhog

Post by Garthhog »

cbass wrote:The 4x8 sheets are likely to be Chinese . certainly not as nice as BB but it's supposed to be void free .!it's what I use to build miost of my kitchen cabinets with ID look for the prowood brand.I picked up some import birch once that delaminated as i cut it.
For something like a guitar cab I don't think the cost savings is even worth considering China birch.
Chinese birch was my suspicion as well. My problem is that I specifically ask for Baltic/Russian birch. If they sold me chinese, I will need to speak with the owner.
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
cbass

Post by cbass »

I'm not aware of BB in 4x8 that doesn't mean it don't exist
cbass

Post by cbass »

Also you can ask them what the grade is Baltic birch has a different grading sysystem. Also I believe some of the import birch use Russian birch for the faces . so they may not have been lying just ignorant. .