African Mahogany & zebra wood 1936

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

African Mahogany & zebra wood 1936

Post by Geeze »

Why? Because.

I have an African Mahogany & zebra wood on a Satellite Barracuda and just HAD to HAVE a matching cab. Doesn't hurt that I want to take it to this coming weekend's guitar show in Arlington.

Usual finger joints - had an interestingly frustrating development as my Freud carbide dado started to cut .010" deeper on the second chipper - DOH! It was my arbor so the so so fix is to tighten the set down - test cut. If its not flat loosen and retighten. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Pics of the lonely amp, the bottom of the cab as I don't show that very often and various stages of the build ending with the first slurry sand.

Russ
Attachments
DSC_0460.JPG
DSC_0455.JPG
DSC_0454.JPG
DSC_0450.JPG
DSC_0443.JPG
xtian

Re: African Mahogany & zebra wood 1936

Post by xtian »

Wowwowow.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'm starting to understand this a lot better, particularly how you do the corners. Sorry to hear about the .01" problem. It still looks great, as usual.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Phil_S wrote:I'm starting to understand this a lot better, particularly how you do the corners. Sorry to hear about the .01" problem. It still looks great, as usual.
Hi Phil,

Yep it's all about the tweaking, fiddlin' and cussin'. I'm looking forward to the reveal of your new project! Just remember the 1st woodworking commandment -

'It's wood, if it doesn't turn out burn it and deny it ever existed.'

Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I have just about given up on that PC 4112 blind dovetail jig I bought. I spent 2 hours doing test cuts on Sunday without success. The PC model is obsolete and now I'm pretty sure I know why. So, I decided to cut through dovetails with my Keller jig, which, aside from having no stop for board placement, is basically idiot proof. Unfortunately, I did not clamp one side properly and it slipped when I wasn't looking, so I'll have to make another. This was some 60 year old pine that came with the house -- spalted in places and fine grained, so I was sorry, but it isn't the end of the earth. I'm holding off on the cherry 'til I feel more sure about it. I don't have much extra.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Some finished pics.

This rig was at the Arlington TX Guitar show in the Guys Building Guitars booth 7010 Friday and Saturday. I got lots of compliments on the look and several offers to buy it. Same answer for all - get your own - www.satelliteamps.com This amp is mine.

BTW the guitar was a charity build [we do them every year] left over because I didn't get it done in time for last year. Sold it yesterday - God bless you to the buyer - and the proceeds will go to the Russ Martin Listeners Foundation www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=russ%20m ... foundation that supports the families of fallen first responders. That fund got tapped out earlier this year and we want to 'pump it up'. We are building an archtop guitar to auction off and 100% goes to the RMLF.

On the guitar below www.allparts.com donated the neck, one of our members cut the tele body from cedar and I drop topped the padauk & zebra wood. My first and only automotive clear finish - oh what a pain with cedar. The rest of the parts from the toy box.

Russ
Attachments
DSC_0473.JPG
DSC_0474.JPG
DSC_0469.JPG
DSC_0467.JPG
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I walked right by this amp on Saturday and admired it. Wish I'd known you were going to be there, I would have introduced myself!

Stupid question, are you Russ Martin?
Ron
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Hi Ron,

Nope not the mighty Martin. Too bad on the almost meet - I'd made you play it!

Russ