Good wood for cheap

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Good wood for cheap

Post by Phil_S »

I sure I hope I did OK. Lumber Liquidators posted on CL for unfinished stair treads and risers that have been on the shelf too long. I paid about $2.25/bf for 12 boards, (7) 7" x 36" risers, and (4) treads 11" (including bull nose) x 36", and 1 tread 48" but not in great shape. 4 of the risers are domestic USA white oak, 2 are Santos mahogany, and 1 is a bowed Brazilian cherry that I thought had nice figure. The treads are all Brazilian cherry. I was able to pick through the stock. The 48" tread was sitting on the floor and, while crappy looking, I think there is quite a bit of it that can be salvaged. It looks like all of it except the oak are single boards, not jointed and glued. The guy who helped me was surprised I was finding single wide boards and commented they much have "been here for a long time."

I am concerned that the Brazil cherry is quite dense and I hope that my saw can handle it. The treads are nominally 1" thick and quite heavy compared to domestic cherry of the same dimension. I guess I'll see. Any comments on this would be welcome.

I know this wood is not exceptional, but I was thinking it provides a great opportunity for a guy who is still learning how to work with it. A mistake won't hurt too much.
Attachments
White oak risers
White oak risers
Brazilian Cherry treads 5 on the right
Brazilian Cherry treads 5 on the right
Mahogany on left, cherry on right
Mahogany on left, cherry on right
jelle

Re: Good wood for cheap

Post by jelle »

Nice! :D

Sweet score.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Ooh. Super. Those will clean up perfectly.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice!! Gonna have to check out the local LL.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

He shoots - he scores!
Nice Phil.
Why Aye Man
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Don't be skeerd! If the cherry has a pronounced bow cutting it in to small pieces across the bow makes it easier to flatten on your router/planer rig.

Now go build something!

Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Thanks for all the encouragement. I found the trick of leveling short pieces works nicely. The bowed piece is a .75 inch riser, so it should be easy enough to work with. My real concern is the density of the Brazilian cherry stair treads and the thickness being a bit much for the saw. We shall see. So far, I'm still having fun.