Portable workbench vise

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Portable workbench vise

Post by Phil_S »

One thing that makes any sort of woodworking much easier is a good bench vise. Sure, there are viseless methods of working wood, but they are not portable. My problem, as I've mentioned before, is that there is no dirty room in my house where I can make all the sawdust I want. This means I'm limited to my outdoor workbench and that's fine with me. However, there's no keeping a vise on that bench because the weather is going to ruin it.

About a month or so ago, I came across the Sjobergs portable workstation. I almost bought it and then I thought, I've got everything I need. This project was built almost entirely of scrap 50+ year old Douglass Fir that came out of my roof in the tree incident a few years ago. The vise was free, removed from my mother-in-law's house when she moved about 18 months ago. The vise jaws are made from an unfinished white oak stair riser, part of the recent purchase from Lumber Liquidators, see my other post on that find.

The only thing left to do is drill holes for the bench dogs. I'm not quite sure where to place them and the best way to drill them. My current thinking is similar to the Sjobers item. I don't know the exact placement on that, but I am looking at two rows about 11" apart. In addition to the two dogs in the vise jaw, I think that 2 rows of 3 dog holes in the work top will be more than enough. The vise screw gives me almost 10" of extension, though it seems I don't really want to open it more than 5-6" because it makes for a lot of outboard weight as the metal jaw plate is quite heavy. Also, it sags after opening too much. I believe I can compensate for the sag by placing some sort of guide on the underside for the screw. Details, details...
Attachments
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG
Sjobergs.JPG
xtian

Re: Portable workbench vise

Post by xtian »

Cool. I have not had such a vise since shop class in Jr. High. Mmmm....
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

As I am starting to get more seriously involved in woodworking, I am quickly coming to the realization that a large, flat work surface would not just be handy, but downright essential. Trying to build a "square" cabinet on a sagging table is difficult at best. Nothing in nature is flat, with the possible exception of a calm lake which, unfortunately, doesn't make for a good work surface. :-) Even concrete slabs have minor peaks and dips. I am currently working on a 6' folding table which, you guessed it, sags in the middle! I am fortunate enough to have a "dirty room", but unfortunately, it isn't big enough to keep everything set up for use. So it's a 'move this tool / machine into the center of the room, then put it away and move that tool into the center' kind of affair. Consequently, I tend to work outside as well. Ideally, I'd like to have a 4' x 8' perfectly flat surface, with access from all four sides. Oh, and height adjustable would be nice too...
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Lou,
I suggest searching youtube for portable workbench videos. There are many. I don't believe you need 4' x 8' unless you are building large pieces of furniture. Think in terms of 2.5' x 5'. Think vertical. You can use the underneath for storage and/or to change tools, e.g., router table to table saw. Look for the vids. Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZXWlE8a5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ulshvXxkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoULxwTaGAU
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Hi Phil,

Great job! My hat is off to the 'outside the box / make my own' thinking.

Do you plan to drill holes for bench dogs? They increase the 'reach' of the vise to the width of the working minus a couple of inches.

I have two flat work areas - table saw and a portable shooting bench with a 2" marine grade plywood top. This is my do everything surface - glue up, grill cloth stretching station, sanding and oiling station and general catch all crap surface if I'm getting sloppy - which I am most of the time.

Russ
Attachments
DSC_0290.JPG
DSC_0485.JPG
DSC_0244.JPG
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hi Russ!
I'm glad you like it and thank you for your encouraging words. The beast weighs in at 32 pounds! It still qualifies as portable, though, and it is actually fairly petite, so it can be stored away. I made a handle from a 7/8" dowel. That's the only thing I had to purchase for it.

Yes, I'll be drilling for bench dogs. 2 in the outer vise jaw, and 3 pair of holes in the "table." My present issues are these: 1) I want to figure out how to drill the holes as plumb as possible to the top and I don't have a drill press, and 2) my 3/4" bit for the dogs needs sharpening.

It seems a diamond file or similar is needed to sharpen a bit. I may have to build yet another jig so I can do a proper job of sharpening. (Rationale: I need one of these anyway says the devil on the left shoulder.) I saw some interesting stuff on youtube about this and it happens I just pulled a low power motor (from a piece of junk) that has a plastic wheel that I think will take 5" sanding discs. It should be more than adequate for light duty sharpening. I have to hook it up to assess the possibilities. I think I've also got an exhaust fan motor somewhere that I've never used.

There is no end to things that get in the way of finishing something!

Phil
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Phil_S wrote: There is no end to things that get in the way of finishing something!Phil
No kidding! Here's my current fixture build:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1HJ_JOIDs
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Phil_S wrote:
There is no end to things that get in the way of finishing something!

Phil
You hit it on the head. I've got to build a 1/4" dado sled for a box for Christmas. Instead I pulled apart a guitar body to round the edges more today.

Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Dang! (Looking for polite language.) Now I need a dial indicator! I've been using an engineer's square...a small one that doesn't get hung up in the teeth.

Russ, there's no end to rounding. Look at π! Keep going 'til you're done.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture