[QUESTION] Altec Lansing 417 12" vs EVM 12L

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

[QUESTION] Altec Lansing 417 12" vs EVM 12L

Post by Bombacaototal »

I am wondering everyone's opinion about the sound of 12" Altec Lansing 417 vs EVM 12L

I know the EVM is much easier to find, on the Classic 8ohm reissue

This is Paul Rivera opinion about EVM12L http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ene-627464
How much did you experiment with loudspeakers and cabinets?

PR: "A lot. Loudspeakers are the ultimate mechanical filter. For guys who were going out on the road and needed the ultimate in reliability, we often used the Electro-Voice EVM12L, because if you have a 25-watt amp running into a 200-watt loudspeaker you know you aren't going to have a problem.

"The issue there was more about getting the cone moving. Those EVMs have very stiff cones and spiders. At low level, they were the coldest, least inspiring loudspeaker you ever heard, but turn them up and they were magical."
Wondering if anyone has a good source for buying the Altec Lansing 417 and also if anyone knows the difference beween 8C vs 8H

I found an older post http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ight=altec
417-8C, 75W rated, and earlier -8A and -8B versions with different frame design. All Alnico magnets. All 8 ohm except some very early ones at 16 ohms.

Then there is the 417-8H, 100W rated, aluminum dust cap, Series 1, all Alnico magnets, and later Series 2, ceramic magnets.

According to a post Funk made here back in '07, HAD preferred the Ceramic 417-8H, which is the Series 2 I believe. These have only aluminum dust caps as I understand it, unless you had it changed to paper
Some interesting info from Sebago http://sebagosound.com/index.php?id=74
The amp was shipped with an Altec 417A speaker, which is a lightweigh cone low power version of the 417 series. The original 417A's are nearly impossible to find. The 417B and 4178C are tonally very close, but also difficult to find in unmodified condition. We've tested many speakers with the amp, including many vintage original Altec 417 series speakers and have settled on the Eminence Eric Johnson signature speaker as a production worthy substitute for the Altec.
Geeze

Re: [QUESTION] Altec Lansing 417 12" vs EVM 12L

Post by Geeze »

What style of music? More important than a revered driver that may not give you the sound you want.

I had 4 - 417s in a 4x12. They sounded good but were fragile - to date they are the only speakers I have blown - 3 out of the 4. The recone $$ was just stupid.

Personally I am so not a fan of vintage speakers - if they crap out your value dies. Give me a modern speaker that fits my requirements any time.

Russ
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Geeze wrote:What style of music? More important than a revered driver that may not give you the sound you want.

I had 4 - 417s in a 4x12. They sounded good but were fragile - to date they are the only speakers I have blown - 3 out of the 4. The recone $$ was just stupid.

Personally I am so not a fan of vintage speakers - if they crap out your value dies. Give me a modern speaker that fits my requirements any time.

Russ
Thanks Russ for sharing your experience ! Really valid feedback about vintage speakers

I've narrowed down to the following
Alnico: Celestion Gold, Weber California, eminense eric johnson
Ceramic: Celestion g12-65
Neo: Celestion century (not vintage), alessandro ahep
Efficient: evm 12l
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I have played the G12-65 Heritage - nice sounding speaker but hey, if it's good enough for Robben Ford, it's good enough for me :-)

I have owned a pair of Mesa Boogie 1x12 Theil cabs w/ EVM-12L's and I regret selling them years ago - they were amazing.

I currently have a 1x12 semi open back cab w/ EVM-12L, and it's a great cab as well. Currently, I use it with a Fender Tonemaster head.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:I have played the G12-65 Heritage - nice sounding speaker but hey, if it's good enough for Robben Ford, it's good enough for me :-)

I have owned a pair of Mesa Boogie 1x12 Theil cabs w/ EVM-12L's and I regret selling them years ago - they were amazing.

I currently have a 1x12 semi open back cab w/ EVM-12L, and it's a great cab as well. Currently, I use it with a Fender Tonemaster head.
It would be great to be loaded (i.e. $$$) and just order one of each, and try them out to see what will fit my cabinet best...oh well....I keep trying the Euro Million :roll:

My current set up is a ply 2x12 with a G12-65 and a Gold. I am building a second 2x12 and thinking about other possibilities or even if I do another identical cab

So far what is winning is probably a Poplar cab with a couple different Neos
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

My favorite is still the EVM12S :D
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

My 2x12 with old EVM12Ls sounds fantastic. It's an oval back Tone Tubby cab. Only downside is how heavy that box is.

I built a 1x12 and I generally keep a 70s Altec 417 8H in there. I found a pristine pair on eBay a couple years ago, same with the EVMs. Buying speakers online sucks, but if all turns out for the best, the end result is often a good one. Since I seem to prefer AlNiCos, I've taken quite the liking to these Altecs and have referred to them as my favorite speakers of all time, but there are plenty of amps that I prefer pairing with my Ampeg 4x12 with pre Rola Celestions. It just depends on your preferences. I've liked the Altec more consistently with a wider array of amplifiers.

And with regard to comparing the two.... To me, the EVMs are brighter or more transient in response compared to the Altec which seems somewhat sluggish and darker or more saturated. Not a bad thing but something that seems to differentiate ceramics and AlNiCos. The 12Ls have a fantastic clean sound. I've not had or played a Series II 417, so I cannot speak for that particular driver. It all depends on what your application is and the generalized tone you're aiming for.
Rockwell666

Post by Rockwell666 »

Ive got a pair of 417-8c's and I wouldn't trade them for anything. JBL's EV's. Nothing compares to their transparent tone. G12-65's are fantastic if you play with some amp breakup, but as others said, it depends on the tone your going for.
The altecs breakup smoother then other "clean" speakers, but they don't fit with Marshall style amps or other amps with a lot of gain. IMHO
GMP45

Post by GMP45 »

Great Plains Audio bought all of the Patents, Manufacturing Gear, and were originally all former Altec Employees, and originally did OEM Altec Repair, and also still make many of the so called vintage models.

GPA/Altec STILL Makes the 417H. The 417H is 100 Watt Alnico and 60-8000 frequency response 101db

GPA also still makes the 418H x Alnico 150 Watt 50-8000 103db

Also the 421A 100 Watt Ceramic. 35-8000 101db

The #1 thing that will make any heavy mag speaker fail... especially JBL/Altec is a weak baffle. The baffle over time deforms, and with the close tolerance voice coil gap of Altec/JBL. The baffle distorts the frame, which in turn, takes out the coil. It s viscous cycle. I wouldnt use less than 13/15 ply 3/4 Birch

The Altec 417H is around $335.00
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

For those with thinner baffle boards, maybe a dowel under the magnet glued and screwed to the cabinet bottom would save the baffle from deforming.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.