Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Whiskey Aged Oak Cabinet

Post by Bombacaototal »

Fender released a line of Blues Junior 23 year aged whiskey barrel

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/amps/gu ... tion-120v/

It looks awesome! I am wondering TAG members view on the sound
More about “80 Proof” Blues Junior™ Limited Edition

Like a 23-year aged whiskey, the venerable Fender® Blues Junior has only improved with age. This limited-edition version of the 15-watt wonder is encased in a cabinet lovingly handcrafted from reclaimed bourbon barrels that feature distinct stamps and markings from the various source distilleries—no two are alike! Its rustic visual appeal is sure to look at home in your living room. Matching hand-aged components enhance the cabinet, crafting a highly collectible piece of history limited to 100 units worldwide.

The solid oak cabinet creates a rich low end, shaping the impeccably well-balanced authentic Fender sound that rolls around the ears with just the right amount of smoothness, tempered with midrange bite and clarity. A 12” 8-ohm Jensen® P12Q speaker is driven by a trio of 12AX7 preamp tubes matched to dual EL84 power tubes for complex sonics that nimbly respond to variations in picking dynamics. The spring reverb and FAT boost switch are near to hand to add girth to the all-tube “80 Proof’s” golden tonality for those moments when you need a little more kick.

Hand-aged in the Fender Custom Shop, the leather handle, brass knobs and control plate balance the deep brown cabinet bearing a Fender logo seared into the wood—presenting a unified aesthetic that’s a natural next to your favorite living room chair. Full of vintage mojo and silky smooth classic Fender tone, the “80 Proof” Blues Junior combo is a top-shelf portion of Fender’s history that won’t be available for long.
Attachments
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG
martin manning

Re: Whiskey Aged Oak Cabinet

Post by martin manning »

I wonder if it smells good when it gets warm? It looks cool, but it's got to be heavy, and the light pine cabs Fender used get credit for some desirable sound qualities.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

martin manning wrote:I wonder if it smells good when it gets warm? It looks cool, but it's got to be heavy, and the light pine cabs Fender used get credit for some desirable sound qualities.
Good point! My fav wood is still birch ply. I know Alessandro cabs are poplar which is light but in my opinion does not sound good at all

From the youtube videos I saw of the Oak Whiskey it does not sound great. But it does look stunning

https://youtu.be/BM9J3XfMk_8
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Another interesting one from fender https://www.gearnews.com/fender-custom- ... ttle-tone/
Attachments
IMG_6113.JPG
IMG_6108.PNG
IMG_6101.PNG
IMG_6100.PNG
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:05 pm From the youtube videos I saw of the Oak Whiskey it does not sound great. But it does look stunning
It probably sounds like a Blues Jr... It would sound a lot better modded and with a different speaker. "Gold ring in a pig's nose" comes to mind.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

What a beautiful cab. Too bad it's a Blues Jr. in there :?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am Another interesting one from fender https://www.gearnews.com/fender-custom- ... ttle-tone/

Thanks for that... Love the hardware too. :)

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/ol ... nstitution
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
DaveAved

Post by DaveAved »

Reminds me a little of the first Crate amps.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

dorrisant wrote: "Gold ring in a pig's nose" comes to mind.
Somehow I missed this. Agree with you dorrisant. Some years back there was a Blues Jr version in a moulded plastic cab - surprisingly the unusual cab did sound good to me. Got me thinking about building amps into picnic coolers...

On this whiskey barrel Junior, I see they brought back what looks like copies of rare brass knobs Fender experimented with for a month or two back around 1959-60.
down technical blind alleys . . .
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Those cabinets look great.

One of my favorite amps is built by Randy S. in Fargo ND it's an old organ or other audio tube amplifier in that cabinet but the retro sliders actually work controlling the volume and tone stack.

I don't remember all the controls or how he had them connected.

Mark
29132946_10210638120180757_1582542762766292715_n.jpg