Weber ceramic blue dog

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

grtamp

Weber ceramic blue dog

Post by grtamp »

Hi all , anyone ever tried this type of speaker on Fender Tweed series?
Thanks
R.
Phil_S

Re: Weber ceramic blue dog

Post by Phil_S »

I have a 12" in a stand alone cab. So, to make a short story long, I took this Electro Voice kit from the 60's (maybe 50's) from my father-in-law after he passed away and built it to use as a guitar cab. I really like this speaker and it sounds great in this cab -- very full sounding and plenty of low end, I guess at least partly on account of the cab. I can't speak to putting one in a Tweed series cab. If you have a line on one at a good price, I don't think you can go wrong.

Sorry for not pulling the baffle, but that would require me to drill out a retaining screw in the molding that broke off. I wanted to give you some idea of the cab. It's big for one speaker and has some hi-fi type insides.
Attachments
IMG_2912.JPG
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

grtamp wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:14 am Hi all , anyone ever tried this type of speaker on Fender Tweed series?
Thanks
R.
If the Blue Dog sounds anything close to a Celestion Blue, absolutely try it in a Tweed.
grtamp

Post by grtamp »

I have to replace the speaker in a tweed deluxe 5e3.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I've used many Alnico Blue Dogs . I love them in every amp ive tried it in. I use them in all my amps. They are perfect in tweed Deluxes.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I'm using the Alnico Blue Dog as well. It's in my Rocket Reverb and it's great. I've had one in a Princeton reverb as well. Always been curious about the ceramic version. Certainly less money than the Alnico.
Mark

Post by Mark »

There are other options other than Weber. There is WGS Black and Blue, there is the Tayden Silver Alnico speakers too. They all get a good rap.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

The Hayden Ace, Smooth the New Vintage seem to be contestants for the same tonal space.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I've used a ceramic Blue Dog in a 5E3 before... not bad at all. Also sounds great in a BJr too.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've used the Weber Silver Ten in a Champ and it sounds good. The Silver Ten has a lot of bass response while the Blue Pup appears to be chimey.

I've also heard good things about the WGS G12Q, the only thing that would concern me is the 95.9dB SPL figure. A Celestion would be louder with a 100dB SPL figure. The Silver Ten has a 95dB figure and the Celestion Blue is noticeable louder. (I have both.)

https://wgsusa.com/g12q#specs
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Roe

Post by Roe »

ceramic blue sounds ok, but not great. I prefer the celestion alnico blue OR greenbacks OR G12Hs
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s