Who likes/has EV SROs?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

Who likes/has EV SROs?

Post by Blackburn »

These speakers recently grabbed my attention again and I'm wondering if folks here who like them can point me in the direction of some good sound references. I've found a minimal amount of content on YouTube for these.

Glad to see TAG revitalized!

David
Bill Moore

Re: Who likes/has EV SROs?

Post by Bill Moore »

I have a 15" SRO in my "Twin" clone, and love the sound. The same amp previously had 2 EVM-12S, and an EVM-15L, but the SRO is the sound I like! (I also tried a K130, that was in another cab, it too sounded great!)
Attachments
TC3.jpg
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Bill, that's one hell of a speaker! Very nice. I'm looking at a 12" that is kinda beat up and has a Wald recone. I don't know if that's a desirable thing, but as a rule, since it's been reconed, I will assume it isn't. It's not terribly expensive and that's why I'm giving it some thought. I'm also one of those cats that loves the look of that thing lol.

Thanks!
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

My SRO is a recone, originally, the speaker was in a 70's Bassman cab, (see the wear on the cover). Orange County Speaker reconed it for me, probably 7-8 years ago.
I would like to find a SRO 12 for my DR, but age has turned them into precious metal, it seems! I am about to send off a 60's EM series Jensen for repair, and try that. (It too has the magnet cover).
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

I think I can help out with this.... I still have one Alnico SRO/12 left, and since I plan on spending some time this weekend getting familiar with a HD A/V camera I recently acquired, I'll make it a point to record and post some clips comparing the SRO to a Celestion Blue to give you an idea what they sound like...
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Bill, they certainly are precious metal these days! Look like nightmares to ship too.

Turbo, that would be most appreciated! I didn't really find much worth listening to on the Tube. Interesting using a Blue as a reference piece as well. Thanks!
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

I'm happy to do it! It's always disappointing when you can't find good demos of a piece you're interested in, they're such a great tool for making decisions on gear...

The demos that have been the most helpful to me are the ones that give you some sort of reference point or baseline sound, so that the particular changes & differences which are made by the gear being demonstrated become more clear. I figured that the Blue would be good for that purpose here, just because it's a popular speaker that many people are familiar with, especially when used with a Rocket....which is what I'll be using.

As long as the weekend goes as planned, I'll have these speaker clips up Sunday night....looking forward to doing some clips comparing output transformers in the near future as well, got 4 so far...
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

We had some serious wind gusts late Saturday night and lost power until early Monday so had to postpone making the clips...one of the downsides to living in the sticks of Maine. And now we're getting a blizzard with 18+ inches coming so I'll be in the plow truck until Weds pm... :x I'm ready for Spring!!
rp

Post by rp »

http://celestion.com/product/194/G12H_150_Redback/

No idea if this is a 150W Greenback or if Celestion is muscling in on EV's turf, but thought I'd post it.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The redback looks to be a beefed up G12K100, a H magnet and 2" VC.

I think that the SRO is only rated at 60 watts rms continuous, but that's probably conservative.

Mine is monstrously efficient, a massive warm tone with its smooth PA cone with fabric surround.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Thanks fellas for the input.

I hope things are better over there for you Turbo. I'd love to hear a clip! :D

pdf, is that the SRO AlNiCo you're describing?
Mark

Post by Mark »

What is the modern equivalent of the SRO?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

I have one, it's great, different kind of great, all EVs are great IMO, I use them exclusively.

I have some demos up on soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/user961120844

all the skyline recordings and below are the EV SRO, it's a recone, a very good one, forgot to mention.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here is a replacement of sorts for the EV SRO. Listening to their clips through my iPhone. I think I prefer this over EVM12 type speaker.

https://wgsusa.com/BHHP
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Yes, mine's the Alnico version.
The demos provided by Ang3Ius seem representative of it.
See EV's SRO info sheet attached.
Note the 19lbs weight and 103dB/W sensitivity!
Compared to the WGS Blackhawk's 9 lbs and 99dB/W, which looks to make the Blackhawk more of a rival to the Celestion Cream http://celestion.com/product/151/Celestion_Cream/
Their magnet structures seem tiny compared to that of the SRO.
Attachments
EV SRO12 EDS.pdf
(318.09 KiB) Downloaded 171 times