Princeton reverb speaker

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

Princeton reverb speaker

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hi all,
I'm in the process of building a blackface Princeton reverb. I've got 2 speakers at home i can use. A creation g10 gold, and a 10" Jupiter ceramic. What differences in sound can I expect? Which would you all reccomend?

Thanks!
Not really
M Fowler

Re: Princeton reverb speaker

Post by M Fowler »

I'm guessing that the Celestion G10 gold is alnico so it will be warm with almost reverb quality.

The Jupiter 10" ceramic will be brighter but might be able to handle the 12watts of the PR better without flubbing out on bass notes.

Never had either speaker though just my guess.

Mark
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Neither if the amp will be used to gig out with, you need a 12" driver and they will fit in the Princton cab!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

this is just gonna be for home use or recording... i think I'm gonna start with the jupiter and see how she sounds! thanks!
Not really
Roe

Post by Roe »

both should be good
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
rp

Post by rp »

Two nice speakers on hand, instead of speculating beforehand try them both and report back to the rest of us. I'm always curious about tens, but I think I bought my last one.

PR's far and away the best coffee house amp ever but with a band you need a DR. DR cuts through better too, it's not just the 12.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

If neither speaker works out, give the Celestion Ten 30 a try.
Around $35 and surprisingly good sounding speaker.
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

I put a Celestion 10 Greenback in my Princeton the other day and was surprised at how good it sounded. The UK-made 10" Greenback is a lot like it's 12" sibling. Woody and spacious-sounding, seems considerably louder than the vintage Jensen Ceramic that was in there. I'm leaving the G10 in for now. I like it.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

One of my faves at the cheap end of the scale, Jensen C10Q. At the other end, if you're lucky enough to find one, an amazing sounding Princeton that arrived on my workbench for maintenance had an Altec 419, it was just "WOW!" And it weighed a ton. :D Really, that amp felt like picking up a bowling ball. But the sound, incredible.
down technical blind alleys . . .
rooster

Post by rooster »

The most used replacement speaker in the PR is the Ragin Cagun. Try this if all else fails. Been there.

The very best speaker in the PR is a vintage original Jensen C10Q that has been reconed by Weber. If you think I'm kidding, try to find a used of blown vintage C10Q on eBay. Watch the Nora Jones concert video with Adam Levy, a vintage (1966) C10Q reconed by Cold Springs of Colorado. Amazing tone.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?