Avatar is now selling speaker cabinet kits

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MakerDP

Re: Avatar is now selling speaker cabinet kits

Post by MakerDP »

I gave up on biscuit joiners once I got a Kreg pocket hole system.
MKB

Post by MKB »

xtian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 pm Thx for the reminder--have one, but never tried. This works on plywood? 90-degrees, or do you cut edges at 45 degrees?
I've used biscuits on high grade plywood, standard 90 degree edges. Kind of the same thing as a dowel reinforcement, but quicker. Also all of these cabs were tolexed so the joint would not be seen, and had radiused edges.
MKB

Post by MKB »

MakerDP wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:57 am I gave up on biscuit joiners once I got a Kreg pocket hole system.
That does look like a great system, will consider that for future projects. I just get nervous using metal in a joint that will be rounded with a router, but I'm sure you can carefully adjust the jig to ensure no screw tips extending into the roundover area. The biscuits are wood, so if you would happen to route into one, no problem.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I too use biscuits with success. Whether a combo, or just a speaker cab, the baffle adds reinforcement to the joint. Also in the combo, the weight of the chassis is supported by the sides when resting, and by the top when carried.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

OK so I haven't given up on getting this cabinet done... I have been working on it lately and I am finally putting the finishing touches on it.

It is VERY solid and I did not use any sort of fasteners other than some Titebond III. The way the baffle and the rear panel bracers are dadoed into the sides make this a very sturdy design that I think will hold up very nicely with just the glue. I used some band clamps to keep it all secure while the glue set.

You do need to route all the edges to round them off so this is not a glue-it-and-go kit... you still need to do some basic finish work on it.

My only gripe about it was that the rear panel was slightly too big to fit. I had to trim off about 1/16" all around to make it fit and allow for whatever covering I decided on. Not a big deal to me. Only took a few minutes and even with this trimming and edge rounding I feel this was enough of a savings in time sourcing and cutting the proper materials that the purchase was well worth it.

For a finish I decided to go "Army" with it. I bought some dark olive drab camo paint for the color. I also decided to try the Duplicolor clear truck bed liner spray for protection since this will be a "gigging" cab and will experience lots of pickup bed & hatchback loading/unloading. The Duplicolor also claims that touching-up scuffs is as simple as a cover-up shot from the spray can if needed, I did this as a test on the rear panel and boy do I really like the results! This should be a very durable and nice looking finish! To complete the no-nonsense appearance I am using "pet proof" window screen for the speaker cloth. To add some "army" touches to it, I will also be stenciling some large white stars on both sides of the cabinet and on the speaker cloth. I might add some black corner protectors... we'll see.

When I'm done later this week, I will throw up some pics.