New JMP head build for the 2018 Dallas Guitar show

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Re: New JMP head build for the 2018 Dallas Guitar show

Post by Geeze »

The next task is to make the padauk 'vines' look viney. I went through about 15 iterations in carving and accenting with colored epoxy before I found something I was happy with.

The first four pics are some of the failures for one reason or another. I didn't want to learn how to carve wood at this stage nor take the time to execute a full bias relief design.
vines scales.jpg
Vines pyo meh.jpg
experiment lacquered.jpg
experiment closeup.jpg
Last night I figured out a pattern that works and with a modded Stewmac Dremel plunge router base cut the following.
Vines cut in progress 3.jpg
The cuts on the long axis relied on a pair of bearing stops to follow the curve. The side cuts and the intersection cuts were free hand. Now I'm off to figure out how well the router base will cut around corners.

Russ
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

The top is cut, next will be the sides and then to figure out cutting the slots around the corner.
Vines test fit 2.jpg
Vines test fit.jpg
I'm looking at putting in tinted epoxy or - yes, I'm crazy - pieces of a contrasting wood in the slots.

Russ
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I've spent the last 6 weeks looking for a bias relief pattern to carve into the long 'vines' to make them slither like a snake. Literally 15 different patterns - snake scales, armor links, Chinese stylized dragon scales, tree bark. Here a few, some made it to wood but failed.
Patterns.jpg
Nothing nada zip looked good to me. Then I started looking at leaves and got the design I'm moving forward with. That's the upside and the downside of cutting wood. Once you cut you are committed to accept it, artfully fix it or burn it and deny it ever existed.

I wanted the notches to follow the center line of the vine so I modded a Stewmac Dremel plunge router with a pair of bearings and off to the test piece I went.
Vine jig.jpg
Vine notches.jpg
With the exception of the bearing guides I ran the routs free hand which took some time to learn rudimentary control as I cut through wood grain. I like the notches enough to plunge forward with them. I wasn't sure if I'd leave them open [too rough feeling] or fill them with a tinted epoxy [a bit better]. I found myself in a dark scary place as I swore to never do inlays on wood. That always looked like insanity even if you had a CNC router to cut the pieces / slots and utter madness to fit the bits to free hand cuts.

Enter utter madness... I looked at contrasting woods and chose zebrawood as it has very distinct wood grain.
Vines all five sides.jpg
This is the inlays sanded level with the vine - the next step will be epoxy to fill the gaps.
Vine edge sanded.jpg
I only have about 80 more inlays to cut and fit on the sides and commit to how I'm doing to inlay the corners for the transition inlays.

In case you are wondering, no the madness never stops it just gains velocity. This design undulates in 2 axis. I've figured out how to do it in 3 axis with figured wood...

Russ
xtian

Post by xtian »

Ah, Russ, you so cray. I love it!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

The ends are fitted and glued.
Vines End.jpg
Vines End 2.jpg
Now only 8 left to go as I think I've figured out how to 'wrap' the zerbawood around a 5/8" diameter - but we'll see!

Russ
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I have all but the round over pieces in and filled with epoxy. That stuff makes most everything better looking!
Vine epoxy sand.jpg
Vine epoxy sand 2.jpg
Russ
toneispower

Post by toneispower »

Amazing work brother. I'm over here in Shreveport. Wish I could have came
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Well I'm embarrassed I never posted finished pics.
Vines Done.jpg
Vines Done 2.jpg
Vines test 1.jpg
Vines test 2.jpg
I was bummed I moved to TN the week before the 2019 show.

Russ
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Man, that's rad! 8)
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Really beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

Guy