Favourite 12" speakers?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TUBEDUDE

Re: Favourite 12" speakers?

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I've found the AlNiCo Blue Dog to be a little warmer in the lower register and shares the same chimey high end without harshness. Maybe a little louder also. As memory for acoustics is variable, since i played them at different times, having to remove n replace in the same cabinet. Overall impression = better & cheaper. YMMV.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I had the opposite reaction. I found the Celestion sounded better than the Dog in every amp I tried them in. The Celestion had big full open chimey tone. The Dog was more mid rangy and a little duller. Not that I don't like the dog. It's a great speaker and is currently in a Rocket combo.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 am Finally got a Fane Ascension A60. Swapped it for my favorite, a well broken in AlNiCo Blue Dog, in a 112" combo. Right out of the box it sounded so sweet i couldn't put down the guitar for 3 hours. Man i can only imagine what it will sound like broken in. It's pricey but worth it.
Hey Dude,

What cab are you running the speaker in and with what amp(s), if I may ask?
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Fane A60 + F70 is a dynamite pairing.
Just plug it in, man.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Colossal wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:04 am
TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 am Finally got a Fane Ascension A60. Swapped it for my favorite, a well broken in AlNiCo Blue Dog, in a 112" combo. Right out of the box it sounded so sweet i couldn't put down the guitar for 3 hours. Man i can only imagine what it will sound like broken in. It's pricey but worth it.
Hey Dude,

What cab are you running the speaker in and with what amp(s), if I may ask?
Greetings Colossal,
It is in this amp:
20210812_164627.jpg
The cab is experimental. It is semi open as you can see here.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34510 It has ports in the bottom and a horn aperture in the rear. The speaker compartment is 10"x17"x14".
The amp is a KT-88 pp pair, cathode biased, and as usual no feedback. Think JTM-30.
I hope that helps.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Excellent. I remember that amp and cab, a really unique project! Pretty sure you posted a demo of the amp (?). If it is the same amp, I remember being able to hear the low end and punch through the cell phone recording 8) :lol:

I've heard great things about the F70 as well, ViperDoc.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

That clip was from a different amp. It was PP 6L6 fixed bias with a Weber California. I'll get something up after I sell a house. What a time suck prepping n selling a house!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 pm That clip was from a different amp. It was PP 6L6 fixed bias with a Weber California. I'll get something up after I sell a house. What a time suck prepping n selling a house!
Ah, cool, thanks for clarifying. I misremembered. I do remember that amp had a killer tone though. Yeah, I totally hear you about the house. I fixed up a place once. Took me three months hard labor, after work. I cashed my checks at Home Depot.
bepone

Post by bepone »

Top of the top: vintage EVM12L in TL806 cab, Alnico cream in any box with open back, and Celestion Alnico Blue in anything

Rotating all the time between:
1. Celestion Alnico Cream in 1x12" DIY open back cabinet
2. Celestion Alnico Blue in 1x12" DIY combo open back
3. Eminence red fang in 1x12" in DIY closed / compression box
4. Celestion Alnico Gold in Mahagony/Maple in DIY open back cabinet

Tried all other Celestion speakers, maybe V type can pass, and from cheapest suprisingly Celestion 70-80 in 1x12" laney cab is great..

and lately i have tried Celestion Herritage G12H 55 Hz - its expensive but really good, also for Fender amps, tried in Deluxe reverb .. is not shrill/irritant like other cheaper G12H versions (anniversary etc)
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

funny, I bought an eminence 150w 12 inch speaker a while ago and I've tried it in every amp I've build and didn't like it really compared to other things.

My friends Deluxe reverb blew a speaker last week and I mentioned I had a spare 12 inch driver he could try. I installed it for him before our gig together and man it sounded fantastic, so much better than the original. I can't for the life of me remember which model the eminence is though. :mrgreen:

M
Roe

Post by Roe »

g12m, g12h, v30, evm 12l, k120/e120
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

EV SRO12 Coffee can :lol:
imjonwain

Post by imjonwain »

I really like the Eminience Tonkerlite. I have one in my Sundown Artist and think it works really well on both channels (one is fendery & other basically JCM800).
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics
Nicko_Lps

Post by Nicko_Lps »

I cant act like i have heard all the good speakers out there but honestly after trying 2x12 Alnico gold i cant enjoy anything else.
The Celestion V30 i have(chinese) Lacks mids and punch compared to a celestion gold that sounds so full and realistic.

MY problem with 2x12 Celestion gold though is that it has extreme dynamics in 5th and specially in the 6th string, in open back cab i cant play it. 1 mistake while playing chords and low E covers up everything.
Luckily a closed back fixed this problem withought any sacrifice on mids/high's