PA Speaker Crossover electronics...

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RyanVee

PA Speaker Crossover electronics...

Post by RyanVee »

Hopefully this is a good section for this thread. I know typically it's all amp-related but it's at least about a speaker...

I've got a Yamaha S115V PA speaker. 15" Speaker and a Horn up top. No sound out of the speaker, just the horn. I pull the speaker and see that the bi-polar electrolytic is destroyed. Okay. Having a nearly impossible time finding the correct replacement but I've got a theory question..

The cap is a 15uF 100V. One of the parts houses that carries this says this cap is good for 200 watts dissipation. Okay... These Yamaha speakers are rated for 500 watts program and 1000 watts peak. Is that why this cap died? Did they design this too weak to handle that much power? I notice there are a quite a few discussions about this crossover on the 'net...mostly related to the polycap that protects the horn...which I have not personally had any issues with.

I looked at sourcing a cap that could handle higher voltages but they apparently don't exist in 15uF rating. I was able to finally source the proper cap but it took some 'net digging! Seems strange that Yamaha used a cap that seems like it wasn't really rated to handle quite as much power as the speakers are supposed to.

The other thing is - this thing has two fat 4.7uF 250V Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitors in it...they both have a bit of orange goo seeping out the sides (kind of like sweat from pores)...is this just part of their make-up and it's not a big deal? or do they need to be replaced? I don't have equipment good enough to test a cap that big with any accuracy. But they're also 6 dollars a piece so I'd rather not if it's just the way those things are and it's not a big deal.

Mods - If this isn't where you want this topic you're welcome to move it. Thanks. :-)

Thanks for any insight y'all can offer on this!
Ryan