how is this speaker/amp cabinet tolexed?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

how is this speaker/amp cabinet tolexed?

Post by norburybrook »

I'm looking at designs etc for my next build and came across this.

I think it's lovely and fancy having a go at something similar.

so question is: how are the corners done on these? obviously the tolex goes right across and there's no mitre or tuck in as the fronts are flush.
amp-speaker .jpg

I've done piping and regular cabinets in all kinds of tolex/suede etc but they've all been traditional cabintes. This has me baffled :D no pun intended,
alkuz1961

Re: how is this speaker/amp cabinet tolexed?

Post by alkuz1961 »

Hello Marcus,
I think there are two ways. The first method is to use a tolex without a fabric base or locally removed fabric base. As the same exists tolex with elastic base. Similar materials are used in the manufacture of soft furniture.
The second method is the local heating of the tolex when pulling and turning. In the holes with a large radius, I was able to do it using a hairdryer ))).
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by alkuz1961 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks, I've done plenty of rear panels like that, but it's the fact that the front of the speaker cab isn't covered separately it's one piece for the side and completely over the front, top and bottom. I can't see a cut/joint so I'm not sue how this has been done.

p.s. just spoke to the builder and he said a heat gun and a secret cut, it's the secret cut i cant work out :D he will send me a diag when he gets back to his home town as he's travelling at the moment.

M
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

If you're asking about gluing and cutting the TOLEX on the side surfaces, then I think there's only one way - just like it was done on old tweed fenders
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.19 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks, yes that's the missing cut I couldn't see :D

any ideas on how the speaker grill /baffle is done with his type of cab?

M
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

I think it's done as at the classic tweed cabinets - grill set directly on baffle. The front panel of this cabinet is thick enough, and the baffle can be fixed in it by screws or with T-nuts. Or you can use wooden bar on the sides for clamping baffle to the front panel, as was done in Marshall cabs.
Attachments
2018-08-27_16-23-59.jpg
2018-08-27_16-25-49.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks , so is the 'TV' front then just a thin piece if wood screwed over the top of that ,filled and then and tolexed as a whole afterwards?

M
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

I first attached the wooden bar to the baffle with screws and glue. Then I attached bars of grille frame (if it is provided by the design, as in my pictures) and then installed the grill cloth. I must draw your attention to the fact that I fixing the grill only on the sides of the baffle. I do not bend and fix grille on the backside, therefore the sidebars do not interfere to me. I believe that this enough and many times tested this on practice. But necessary to consider in advance the width of the gap to the side walls, so that it was tight, but the grill did not prevent to put the buffle in the cabinet.
Next I just press the baffle to the front and tighten the screws to the side panels, as I showed in the photo in the previous post

I apologize for the not perfect pictures, but I hope this will help to understand all processes.
Attachments
grill_1.jpg
grill_2.jpg
grill_6.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks for taking the time to show those.

I've made a few cabs but never one with a 'TV' front and tolex over the front and top/sides so just working out how it's done so smoothly without and visible lines in the tolex where the front and top/sides meet underneath.

M