Tolexing a metal pedalboard

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MakerDP

Tolexing a metal pedalboard

Post by MakerDP »

So... I have a TON of Wine Taurus tolex left over from my speaker cabinet project and I want to tolex my metal Pedal Train pedalboard to match my head & cabinet.

Any tips on the proper adhesive to use for tolex on metal? Would I have to sand down to bare metal? If I have to do that, I think it would just be easier to build one out of wood.

I used the AES Tolex Glue (Wilsonart H20) on my speaker cab and I have to say I love working with this stuff! But I'm afraid it won't be ok to use on metal?
xtian

Re: Tolexing a metal pedalboard

Post by xtian »

Hey, mate! Rubber cement or contact cement would be the obvious choice, and the water based CE Dist Rolex glue might work fine. As they say, test a small patch!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Thanks for the input... it's always appreciated.

yeah i can test a small patch with the AES glue but that won't tell me long-term. I am having really bad luck with contact cement/spray adhesive combo on a cabinet I built after a couple of hot summers. Lots of peeling on the flaps. Just gets too dang hot here in the central valley with long trips in the back of the truck me thinks. I really hope the AES glue holds up better in these conditions. You know how it is... weather in your neck of the woods is about the same as down here near Modesto.

But hey, it's basically free materials since it's all scrap from another project so I'm only out the effort if it doesn't work and I gained the knowledge for future reference at the very least.
xtian

Post by xtian »

You’re right. Sometimes I have to staple the ends of vinyl, when using the water based stuff. But since then, I’ve just learned to put it on more heavily.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

xtian wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:53 pm ... I’ve just learned to put it on more heavily.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that.