Table Saw Build

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Winder

Table Saw Build

Post by Winder »

I have a "contractor grade" DeWalt table saw that really isn't bad, but this is interesting. The plans are $15, and it doesn't look like the materials would be that much. Apparently, he used the circular saw to cut the pieces for the build (probably a jig or two in there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5qJpUB4ylE
Phil_S

Re: Table Saw Build

Post by Phil_S »

I also watched that video, not too long ago. I've watched quite a few of his videos on youtube. That guy seems to have a pretty clear grasp of what he's doing and I've not seen him do things I thought were outlandish or off the mark. I think he's a solid performer in that sort of video niche. He's forthright about the risks he takes and cautions people to be sensible, and stay in their comfort zone.

I also own a DeWalt jobsite table saw and I think it is more than pretty good.

So, there is one thing I dislike about John Heisz table saw build. This is about protecting my fingers. Maybe because we are guitar players, our view is quite a bit different than his? He doesn't use any safety devices. No riving knife, no cover to help keep your fingers away from the blade, no anti-kickback paws. He doesn't like them and he acknowledges the risk, maybe not in this video, but I've seen him say it elsewhere. On occasion, I remove all of that stuff for a thin rip cut. All that stuff comes off for the cross cut sled, but mine has a blade cover built in. There are aftermarket covers and riving knives you can get. If I were building that project, I couldn't omit those things. So, that's my 2¢.

Otherwise, I think it is a very viable project and a way to get yourself a saw upgrade for comparatively little money. You will, however, invest your time in it.

No harm will be done spending $15 for the plans. That is certainly cheap enough. If you never build it, it won't really matter. I don't think I'd booger up my DeWalt to make that build. Get a cheap old rusty table saw from Craig's List and use the bones for a build like that. Look or a good powerful motor and an arbor that's long enough to accept a data stack.I realize that's a hybrid approach that may cost a few more dollars.

These are good examples of what you might find on CL for $50 or less that you will feel good about using it for parts:
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 60331.html
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 61866.html
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 11877.html
Winder

Post by Winder »

Good points. I use the riving knife on the DeWalt unless I'm using a jig or something that requires it's removal. He does have a video on the "best" push stick, but it is scary watching him sometimes. I use the GRR RIPPER 3D push block whenever I can ... pairs of push blocks ... and build sacrificial push sticks. The 3D is pricey, but quite versatile. As you point out, better to zing off a bit of a stick than a finger. :shock:

I was wondering if the particle board cabinet might be too light? Also, not sure exactly what the top is made of.

I was on the fence with the saw I bought, but opted for the mobility of the jobite saw (DWE7491RS) vs. a hybrid since I don't have a ton of garage space. I've been very happy with the saw. I love watching/learning from videos like this though.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If one is broke, what John Heisz built is fine. Mathias Wendell also has some cool home made tools on youtube.

John Heisz built himself a 212 combo using solid state circuitry he designed. I enjoyed watching it years ago just because it's home built.

Mark
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Mathias has a whole shop full of homemade power tools. He seems obsessed with it. At one point, he had several band saws but vowed to thin the herd. I believe John, Mathias, and quite a few other people are trying to make a living off of what they do for youtube. Above all, to do that, you need the software and know how to make a good video. I imagine it must be a huge effort and I am not convinced it is a good, solid long term plan for putting food on the table and a roof over your family's head.

In many respects, these wood/tool guys are as bad (good) as we are. I have no idea why I built a dozen or more amps, yet I'll probably build another, just because I can. On that point, I can totally relate to what they are doing. Some of these guys appear to be quite clever and very smart people who have a knack for supplying good, well organized content with the right amount of amusement sprinkled in.. Other's not so much so.

Winder, that DeWalt saw you have is a decent saw. I have the cheaper model that won't take a dado set. I'm doubtful you'll do better by building a saw. If anything, if you are in a cramped space, figure out how to build infeed/outfeed tables that can be collapsed and moved out of the way when they aren't needed. I'm thinking some sort of gate leg table design.

I had a bad problem with my saw binding when I cranked the blade lift. It would stick to the point it was impossible to move. I'm not quite sure what the problem really was. I fixed it by disassembling the whole thing and putting it back together. It is really quite impressive how accessible all the parts are and how easily it went back together. No left over screws :lol:
cbass

Post by cbass »

i see good cabinet saws on Craigslist all the time fire around 600. you can find old craftsmen belt drives for almost nothing. they are good saws except for the fence and being underpowered still more power tha portable saws though.I still use a 50s crafstmen with a 3hp motor in my cabinet shop for a dado saw. Also look for old dewalt radial arm saws pre 70s once tuned up they're awesome machines