Tolex glue

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aurora

Re: Tolex glue

Post by Aurora »

Wilsonart H2O is a waterbased contact glue... there's probably several other brands available in the US.... I've used swedish made Casco for making several styrofoam boxes for insulating electronic instruments..
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

I tried the water based stuff and found that it pulled up at edges. Maybe there's a technique to it. I now stick with Gel formula DAP and do it outside.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

For small jobs, like doing a cabinet or two, I like 3M 77 spray. I had a hard time with proper application of the stuff in the can and the jobs I did with it are peeling at the edges. One day, I will peel them, scrape them down and do them again. If you search here, you'll probably find some old threads on this topic.
Doug R.

Post by Doug R. »

I sold solvent based adhesives for a living for 30 years. I used a spray contact cement, similar to auto trim cement and a spray gun. You can also use a brush grade contact cement taking care not to put a heavy coating on the tolex. Allow drying time, AKA open tome, for the solvent to dissipate before putting the cover on...Apprx 10-15 minutes. You can easily trap solvent which causes bubbles.