Poplar as Head Cabinet?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Re: Poplar as Head Cabinet?

Post by Geeze »

The poplar I see here in the states is a 'happy' wood - namely little or no warping, cupping or knots. If you still plan to cover the shell it really doesn't matter beyond starting with a wider plank than you need and little or no defects. You can also edge glue after 'true up' rips on a table saw if you need to use more than one piece for the proper width. Titebond II or III work very well and I've edge glued head cabs with only a top center handle for 100 watt Marshalls and never had issues.

This is a great resource for wood and how well it works & finishes.

https://www.wood-database.com/

Russ
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks for the tips and for the link Russ.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Geeze wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:31 pm The poplar I see here in the states is a 'happy' wood - namely little or no warping, cupping or knots. If you still plan to cover the shell it really doesn't matter beyond starting with a wider plank than you need and little or no defects. You can also edge glue after 'true up' rips on a table saw if you need to use more than one piece for the proper width. Titebond II or III work very well and I've edge glued head cabs with only a top center handle for 100 watt Marshalls and never had issues.

This is a great resource for wood and how well it works & finishes.

https://www.wood-database.com/

Russ
Hi Russ, I managed to find American Poplar Tulipwood. I am wondering if these are any good?
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

That should work fine! I'm working on a poplar cab for a buddy - easy to work always nice if you can find pretty planks.

https://www.wood-database.com/poplar/

Russ
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

xtian wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm Solid wood, especially pine, resonates much more than plywood, and thus becomes part of the sound of the cabinet.
In the end I am going for solid Southern Yellow PINE for the head cabinet. The poplar/tulipwood I was looking at is the softest on desinty of all hardwoods and has the largest colour change acrross the board, and it is also a very "bendy" species, which made me a bit concerned.

One thing I am thinking of, given Solid Pine is a resonant wood, is if there are any chances that the head cabinet will pick up more vibration from the speaker cabinet, then let's say Birch, or am I overthinking this?

For me weight is a big factor and hence why I am going for a lightweight wood
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I built a speaker cabinet years ago with Poplar wood which I enjoyed working with rather then pine.

I screwed up on the physical size of the enclosure, meant to house 4x10 " but ended up with 2-10" and maybe one day I will convert to diagonal two 12" if they fit.
Fowler cab.JPG
Fowler cab2.JPG
Fowler home built cab.jpg
xtian

Post by xtian »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 amOne thing I am thinking of, given Solid Pine is a resonant wood, is if there are any chances that the head cabinet will pick up more vibration from the speaker cabinet, then let's say Birch, or am I overthinking this?
I imagine the opposite is true. If you want to dissipate mechanical energy in your head cabinet, use a more flexible material. A stiffer material would transfer more energy to the electronics!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

xtian wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 amOne thing I am thinking of, given Solid Pine is a resonant wood, is if there are any chances that the head cabinet will pick up more vibration from the speaker cabinet, then let's say Birch, or am I overthinking this?
I imagine the opposite is true. If you want to dissipate mechanical energy in your head cabinet, use a more flexible material. A stiffer material would transfer more energy to the electronics!
Thanks Xtian, very good point!
didit

Post by didit »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:06 pm I screwed up on the physical size of the enclosure [...]
10” x three looks feasible, even correct. That way your output transformer secondary will be perfected match—Won’t Get Fooled Again.

Best .. Ian
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am
One thing I am thinking of, given Solid Pine is a resonant wood, is if there are any chances that the head cabinet will pick up more vibration from the speaker cabinet, then let's say Birch, or am I overthinking this?

Overthinking! If it was true the pine combo cab would have gone the way of the dodo.

Russ
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

Geeze wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:30 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am

Overthinking! If it was true the pine combo cab would have gone the way of the dodo.

Russ
Huh? There's almost nothing lighter than solid pine. Balsa maybe. Any kind of plywood will be heavier and less strong.

If the solid pine cab goes the way of the Dodo it will be because quality solid pine goes the way of the Dodo. Forestry isn't what it used to be. Big, straight pine trees were common 50 years ago. They cut them down and made big, wide, straight pine boards out of them. It was great. Now they plant seedlings where they'll grow fast. They cut them down when they're still scrawny and saw them into narrow, knotty, twisted pine boards. The world changes...