Chassis Lid for Ampeg Reverberocket

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

goldenmonkeycolor

Chassis Lid for Ampeg Reverberocket

Post by goldenmonkeycolor »

Hey I'm in need of a lid for my ampeg reverberocket. It was just a thin piece of rusty steel (i guess) before I lost it- just had some self tapping screws that went into top of chassis to hold it together.

Anyone know what material I could use (cheap and easily sourceable) to easily make one for myself? Or maybe anyone out there make one for some money? I could provide measurements and drill

Thanks!
Bill Moore

Re: Chassis Lid for Ampeg Reverberocket

Post by Bill Moore »

Your local "tinsmith" at a HVAC shop can fabricate something for you. I once had a guy fab an enclosure for an open chassis I wanted to experiment with, cost was minimal.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

What do you mean by "lid?" Do you mean a piece of sheet metal to cover the open side of the chassis? You can buy a piece of galvanized steel or a roll of aluminum flashing at the home despot type store and cut it with snips. Then you can fix it to the cab with some screws. If you want a very well fitted plate or it needs to get bent, the guy who makes duct work for HVAC is a good suggestion. On a flat plate, I'd venture to say they can roll the edges so there won't be any sharps to contend with, or you can file them to take the nasty edge off.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

You do not need a sold lid, just do what Fender did but in a modified form.
Fender stapled window screening to the inside top of the cab and then the chassis bolted up to it so all you need to get is enough Aluminum window screening to form it over the chassis with enough hang over to sheet metal screw it down, and note that it must ground out somehow!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Another alternative... 3" aluminum duct seal tape is easy to use.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If you cheapout and use screen, be very careful not to lose any fusible links into the chassis.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

My cheapo of choice is kitchen grade heavy duty aluminum foil glued to scrap cardboard. Cut the cardboard a little bigger. Then the foil doesn't need to run to the edge. Apply glue to the cardboard and burnish the foil onto the glue with the help of a wadded up rag. It's ready to go in 5 minutes. Almost free. Works great.