Woodworking videos worth watching.

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Woodworking videos worth watching.

Post by cbass »

This is the only guy I can watch and not get POed and cuss and throw things. He actually knows what he is doing unlike 99% of utube vidyas.

https://youtu.be/NutwD7B6tmE
Phil_S

Re: Woodworking videos worth watching.

Post by Phil_S »

FWIW, I agree and I really like what this guy does. He takes the technical and makes it accessible. Some of his great videos include:
-How to make a cross cut sled and, in the process demonstrates the 5 cut method for insuring that the back fence is square to .001" tolerance. It's EASY to do and you don't need all kinds of expensive stuff to do it.
-How to make a fixture to sharpen your jointer knives, including the so-called disposable ones. On this one, the most interesting part is how he figures out how high to make the block for resting the stone. However, I've seen a jig that does both knives at once that is much simpler to make and you don't have to calculate anything. Oh well, but still a terrific video.
-Many other clever things done well and done simply.

If you need to know how to do it the old school way without the benefit of power tools, watch Paul Sellers. He can make a rough cut board 4-square with a #4 plane and a saw, and he makes a perfect M&T joint with a saw and a chisel.

I wish that I knew 10% of what either of these guys knows. Both of them give very honest, straight forward presentations of material without editorializing or judging what others do or don't. It's refreshing.
cbass

Post by cbass »

hand tools? im already getting angry :D
Actually i pretty much make jigs and setup tools like Will does. calipers and feelers ive always used the five cut to square thing dad taught me that
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

I agree, that guy's really good. No B.S.
Winder

Post by Winder »

Thanks. I'll check this guy out. I like Stumpy Nubs and John Heisz (his builds, not his rants). Need a better cross cut sled than my original, but I agree that jigs seem to be where it's at. Wish I'd taken that shop class I dropped in High School. I wanted to build a guitar, and they started at with all of this safety crap. :mrgreen: I cut class and never went back. :oops:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

It's a great video on finger joints, thanks cbass! I'll have to see what else he has out there.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Phil_S wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:13 pm FWIW, I agree and I really like what this guy does. He takes the technical and makes it accessible. Some of his great videos include:
-How to make a cross cut sled and, in the process demonstrates the 5 cut method for insuring that the back fence is square to .001" tolerance. It's EASY to do and you don't need all kinds of expensive stuff to do it.
-How to make a fixture to sharpen your jointer knives, including the so-called disposable ones. On this one, the most interesting part is how he figures out how high to make the block for resting the stone. However, I've seen a jig that does both knives at once that is much simpler to make and you don't have to calculate anything. Oh well, but still a terrific video.
-Many other clever things done well and done simply.

If you need to know how to do it the old school way without the benefit of power tools, watch Paul Sellers. He can make a rough cut board 4-square with a #4 plane and a saw, and he makes a perfect M&T joint with a saw and a chisel.

I wish that I knew 10% of what either of these guys knows. Both of them give very honest, straight forward presentations of material without editorializing or judging what others do or don't. It's refreshing.
I looked at his knife sharpening thing as more of a thinking exercise . How to approach jig making. I ain't got time to sharpen by hand real men do it like this http://s938.photobucket.com/user/MykRia ... 7.mp4.html
cbass

Post by cbass »

martin manning wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am It's a great video on finger joints, thanks cbass! I'll have to see what else he has out there.
I didn't care much for his finish guys videos at all. I know it's just a demonstration but I wasn't impressed by any of his final outcomes
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

NG makes great how to vids - clear and concise. This guy - Samurai Carpenter - is more on the 'art' of what's possible side which I find helpful in expanding my skills. Also dangerous as I forwarded the link to my mom [pop's email was down] and she asked me to build one for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqSafVpWkyc

I'd do videos if I was smarter, not so lazy and didn't spend much of my time fixing the stuff I've screwed up.

Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Here's William Ng fixing a bad miter on a cabinet corner. It's simple. You'd think the solution was obvious. And you wouldn't expect a guy who seems to be 3 steps ahead of everyone could find himself in such a situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHtW_x8Y64
Ng covers all sorts of important topics. You wouldn't believe this one, a must watch. How to properly chuck a drill bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2YlWf3RYI
cbass

Post by cbass »

Phil_S wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:09 pm Here's William Ng fixing a bad miter on a cabinet corner. It's simple. You'd think the solution was obvious. And you wouldn't expect a guy who seems to be 3 steps ahead of everyone could find himself in such a situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHtW_x8Y64
Ng covers all sorts of important topics. You wouldn't believe this one, a must watch. How to properly chuck a drill bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2YlWf3RYI
I learned to smash corners in from Dad also. I'm pretty sure he fudged that joint up just for demonstration.
If you're not chuckng bits like he shows you're doing it wrong
Winder

Post by Winder »

Samurai guy is ruining it for the rest of us. :shock: :lol:
cbass

Post by cbass »

Geeze wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:09 pm NG makes great how to vids - clear and concise. This guy - Samurai Carpenter - is more on the 'art' of what's possible side which I find helpful in expanding my skills. Also dangerous as I forwarded the link to my mom [pop's email was down] and she asked me to build one for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqSafVpWkyc

I'd do videos if I was smarter, not so lazy and didn't spend much of my time fixing the stuff I've screwed up.

Russ
pretty cool stuff. definitely out of my artistic level. i dont have the patience for stuff like that.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hard to believe that guy still has two thumbs.