Eminence Speaker Advice...

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Eminence Speaker Advice...

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sluckey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:28 pm I would like an explanation of that. My understanding of resistance and impedance in series is that the first speaker takes the full load, then the second would, in theory, take the full load as well, whatever wasn't dropped by the first. Maybe I'm confusing resistance and impedance though. ?
I'd rather see an explanation or evidence of YOUR statement. :mrgreen:
I'm probably wrong, and can't back that up, I'm hoping someone can help me understand why. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm stating what I thought was the case, and asking for clarification after being told I was wrong.

If that's askign too much, that's fine.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Tony Bones wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:28 pm I would like an explanation of that. My understanding of resistance and impedance in series is that the first speaker takes the full load, then the second would, in theory, take the full load as well, whatever wasn't dropped by the first. Maybe I'm confusing resistance and impedance though. ?
The short answer is conservation of energy - or conservation of power in this case, still valid. If an amp is putting 20W into two speakers, they can't both receive 20W of power. That would be 40W total. Where'd the extra 20W come from?

The long answer makes use of the equation P = V^2 / R. Figure out what the voltage across a single 8 ohm speaker must be @20W (12.65Vrms), a pair of speakers in series for 16 ohms (V=18Vrms), and a pair in parallel for 4 ohms (V=9.0Vrms).

Now, for the 16 ohm case, realize that the 18V signal is divided equally between the two speakers (9 volts each), then the power to each speaker is P = 9^2 / 8 = 10W.

For the parallel (4 ohm) case, the power delivered to each speaker is ... we already figured it out: P = 9^2 / 8 = 10W.

All of the above assumes a tube amp with 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs that allow you to load the amp identically in each case. In the case of a SS amp with vanishing low output impedance the output voltage won't change (much.) So if you get 20W into an 8 ohm load, then you'll get close to 40W with a 4 ohm load (20W per speaker) but only 10W with a 16 ohm load (5W per speaker.)

But, I'm assuming a tube amp with 4, 8, and 16 ohm output taps where, to first order, there is no difference between series or parallel connections of the speakers provided you choose the right OT tap.

Having said that, there are some people that claim the 4 ohm tap uses only some of the secondary windings while the 16 ohm tap uses all of them, hence the 16 ohm tap works better. I've never A/B'ed, so I can't comment on that...
I still don't think this helps me understand it. Those are all great equations that state what a single entity takes, but doesn't show the math or explain the interaction of two speakers

Your statement "If an amp is putting 20W into two speakers they can't both receive 20W of power" is not related to my question. my point is, what if speaker one drops 20W and speaker two then drops 0W? no? yes? I.e. I thought I understood that in series, the load is going across the first one, and it takes as much as it takes, and what's left goes to the second one. That's not correct? Why?

I suspect the brain trust here has like 110% chance of being right, I just don't understand why.

I swear I'd heard before that if you had say a 15W speaker and a 100W speaker and sent 40W to the speakers the 15 watter may likely blow up because when the signal hits it (if it's first) it will drop all of the power hitting it first or at least some mathematically significantly higher than 15W, say 20W (if it was exactly half) but I thought it would absorb more of the brunt if it came first in the chain.

Again, I'm probably wrong, just trying to understand the science behind it, and how the power is perfectly balanced, if at all etc. irrespective of the parallel vs series.

Another mathematical idea here, would be that a resistor (or impedance) causes a voltage drop no? So wouldn't the first speaker drop the ac voltage coming at it, and the second then get 'less voltage', and theoretically couldn't that second one due to less voltage, have less power dissipated?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think I just read something that may make sense.

It's a voltage divider. In a voltage divider if both resistors are the same voltage, the voltage in the middle is exactly 1/2 the input. I.e. they do split the load evenly so long as both are exactly the same value.

I think I was possibly remembering something more along the lines of a 'if there's enough of an impedance mismatch between two speakers AND one is pretty close to it's limit, it could burn it up' and it's the imbalace that I'm remembering.

Sorry for the thread derail. If someone could confirm my above statement as right, I'd be happy :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

Hello -

Offline all yesterday and missed out on this thread building. As correctly noted in your last post Phil--in series a pair is a divider. Assuming two equal/same that split is half&half. Putting mismatched speakers together (series or parallel) can be cool. That's assuming similar impedance (curves) & SPL efficiency, and overall power handling is above the subjected shared energy. If one or both speakers was "under-spec'ed" and therefore overdriven then bad outcomes can be predicted. Essentially just the same as with single stand-alone speaker when overloaded.

And apologies for continuing on this partial hijack.

Best .. Ian
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Thanks for confirming. It made sense at that point, somewhat of a light bulb type thing heh.

I guess, this whole derail is good eminence speaker advice still no? :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
GaryLC

Post by GaryLC »

Yes, I love all this info! I'm learning with everything all of you are posting, please keep it up! I'm still just trying to decide if I want to buy two 4 ohm or two 16 ohm Eminence speakers for my amp..... :) :)
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

... but is there any advantage to having two 4 ohms in series vs. two 16 ohms in parallel?
I don't think so. From failure point of view, if one speaker blows the series circuit fails open, while the parallel circuit fails to a 16 Ohm load.

I have a homebrew 4 x 10" cab with 8 Ohm EMi Ramrods. I wired it up to provide either 4 or 8 Ohms (4 Ohms - two speakers in parallel, and 8 Ohms two sets of parallel 10's wired in series). Either way, if one blows the other is there to prevent damage to the amplifier OT. The speaker power rating makes this extremely unlikely, but you never know.

I'd get two 16 Ohm heats and wire them in parallel for an 8 Ohm load.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

What is your budget like ?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

2 speakers in series
- same current in each, 1/2 voltage across each so half power in each.
- if one speaker fails open circuit then the other is no longer connected - silence

NOTE: Speakers typically fail open circuit NOT short circuit

2 speakers in parallel
- same voltage across each, 1/2 current in each so half power in each
- if one speaker fails open circuit then then the other will be expected to handle all the amp power and I HAVE seen an instance where one speaker wire came off (bad solder connection) and the other speaker blew up. (60W Amp with 2 x 12" 35-40W rated speakers).
For parallel connected speakers it is safer to make sure that each speaker is rated to handle the full amp output power (see below).

With Solid State Amps you will typically see a power output spec like: 55W into 8 Ohms, 90W into 4 Ohms
With Tube Amps there is little power output dependence on load impedance, so it will deliver very close to the same power into half the load impedance. So watch parallel connected speaker power rating

Soundwise:
There is some talk from the HiFi bofins that the parallel wired speakers in a single cabinent will tend to mechanically damp each other and may give tighter sound than series connected speakers - I don't know if this is true.

With respect to electrical damping it does make some sense in that the back emf from one speaker will be damped by the load represented by the other as well as by the output impedance of the amp itself. With a tube guitar amp where the amp output impedance may be of similar value to the speaker impedance then this may make a difference compared to series wired speakers.

Technically though (Theile Small Parameters) we are talking about 2 different things here: Speaker Qes ( the inverse of electrical damping) and speaker Qms (the inverse of mecahnical damping).

If I have a choice I will usually use parallel connected speakers.

Cheers,
Ian
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

didit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm
Leo_Gnardo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 pm Now... if they could get that tone with an neodymium magnet, that would be 'da bomb.'
Take it your critique includes the Lil' Texas? I've yet to have Texas Heat around for testing A vs B, but once broken in a Lil' Texas does (for my ears) commendably well in Fender combos - both in a re-baffled Princeton & in a '70 Deluxe Reverb.

Best .. Ian
Still haven't had a chance to compare L'il with Heat. However, now that Texas Heat sells at US$95 (no more cheap deals like 10 years ago :( ) and L'il Texas $110, it's not much of a stretch to pop for the neodymium choice. If they're similar tonally, so much the better. Only $30 to save a heap of weight in a 2x12 combo or cab, worth the price in aspirin & liniment. :cool:
down technical blind alleys . . .
Registration

Post by Registration »

answer to question on page one , putting two guitar speakers in series will dull down the tone drastically two treble ( 7080 or wizard ect ) speakers can work if it's bright tone amp ...and a dark tone is desired....in general ( as said ) parallel is better . four 4ohm speakers wired series to 16ohm , will not have a guitar tone at all
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

Registration wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:14 am answer to question on page one , putting two guitar speakers in series will dull down the tone drastically two treble ( 7080 or wizard ect ) speakers can work if it's bright tone amp ...and a dark tone is desired....in general ( as said ) parallel is better . four 4ohm speakers wired series to 16ohm , will not have a guitar tone at all
:lol:
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars