Sunny weekend and 3 head cabs

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy77

Sunny weekend and 3 head cabs

Post by Guy77 »

Me and the misses spent a sunny weekend with my dad and he helped me crank out some head cabs for some future builds. Our first warmish weekend up here and we got his wood shop going after a cold winter! Still need to do finish sanding and then the tolex.
I have to admit at 81 he still did most of the heavy lifting in getting the job done!

Cheers
Guy
3Headcabs.jpg
norburybrook

Re: Sunny weekend and 3 head cabs

Post by norburybrook »

they look great :D I have no workshop so have to build in the garden so need sunny weather too :D

MC
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks Marcus! Yes we need more sunny days !

Cheers
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

are they pine? looks like nice wood. biscuit joints as well by the look of it. Far too nice to be covered with tolex :D My cabs NEED to be covered with tolex :D

enjoy the sunshine :D

M
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

norburybrook wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm are they pine? looks like nice wood. biscuit joints as well by the look of it. Far too nice to be covered with tolex :D My cabs NEED to be covered with tolex :D

M
Hi Marcus, yes they are Pine ( engineered pine to be exact) I find these type of boards are straighter then regular Pine ,at least at our local Home Depot.
He made Rabbet joints to connect the corners and then drilled small holes on the outside corners to insert several tiny nails from the outside ( done after photo was taken). He said it didn't really need the nails since he felt the glue and tolex and corners would add support as well.

A router table was used to router all the edges 1/2 in round and then grooves were also routed on the inside side walls so that the horizontal front wooden bar could slide into that groove and glued later. This was done carefully to get the 2 5/8 in opening spacing required.
Then finally the boards were glued and placed into a wooden form that was the exact outside measurement of the cabinet and then large C clamps were tightened around the box for several hours.

Your cabinets are nice too, I like the photos you posted a while back.

Cheers

Guy
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Guy77 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:21 pm
norburybrook wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm are they pine? looks like nice wood. biscuit joints as well by the look of it. Far too nice to be covered with tolex :D My cabs NEED to be covered with tolex :D

M
Hi Marcus, yes they are Pine ( engineered pine to be exact) I find these type of boards are straighter then regular Pine ,at least at our local Home Depot.
He made Rabbet joints to connect the corners and then drilled small holes on the outside corners to insert several tiny nails from the outside ( done after photo was taken). He said it didn't really need the nails since he felt the glue and tolex and corners would add support as well.

A router table was used to router all the edges 1/2 in round and then grooves were also routed on the inside side walls so that the horizontal front wooden bar could slide into that groove and glued later. This was done carefully to get the 2 5/8 in opening spacing required.
Then finally the boards were glued and placed into a wooden form that was the exact outside measurement of the cabinet and then large C clamps were tightened around the box for several hours.

Your cabinets are nice too, I like the photos you posted a while back.

Cheers

Guy
Guy,

Lovely, that's proper cabinet work :D My cabs look fine once they're covered, they're strong and functional :D

I'll look out for engineered pine as I imagine it's lighter than ply.

keep us posted with the final steps.

M
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Nice looking cabs! The other wonderful thing about pine is it cuts like butter!

Russ
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Finally found some time to cover one of the 3 cabinets . Its not quiet a final finished cab but almost there!
This one will be using Taylor's JM Chassis that he recently sold for us here on the site.

Cheers!
Head Cabinet.jpg
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Cabinet looks great! BTW, what is engineered Pine?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Guy77 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:46 pm Finally found some time to cover one of the 3 cabinets . Its not quiet a final finished cab but almost there!
This one will be using Taylor's JM Chassis that he recently sold for us here on the site.

Cheers!

Head Cabinet.jpg
Looks great Guy, I like the carbon fiber . I'm going to do my princeton reverb combo with that :D

M
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks Marcus.
Here is another pic with the front grill cloth and the white trim. I made the front grill recessed about 1/2in
I added a pic of the rear of the cab as well. I really like this carbon look tolex as well, your Princeton will look great with it.

Cheers!
thumbnail_20190609_182118.jpg
thumbnail_JM_RearCab (1).jpg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Great job on those cabinets.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Guy,

Did you pre cut your mounting holes for your chassis?

M
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks Mark.

Hi Marcus, regarding the chassis holes , I like doing them at the end. I place an empty chassis ( in this case it will be Taylors JM chassis) right on top of the cabinet and use a center punch tool (Stanley makes a nice one) and slip it through the mounting holes of the chassis and then I mark the top of cabinet on the Tolex. Then I take a small bit and drill the first holes and then move up to a larger bit.

I am sure there are other ways of doing it but i just prefer this way.

Cheers!

Guy
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

statorvane wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 am Cabinet looks great! BTW, what is engineered Pine?
Hi statorvane I realised I did not answer you. The link below shows the engineered pine. Its actually called laminated pine. Though this example has too many knots.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/thd-12 ... 1000140872

Cheers
Guy
Last edited by Guy77 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.