Peavey 6505 plus

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DucksFanDave

Peavey 6505 plus

Post by DucksFanDave »

Yesterday I went dumpster diving at my local Guitar Center and found a Peavey 6505+ Combo amp smashed to bits. if i can get this guy up and running. How hard is to build or buy a Head cabinet for it?
20190529_063556.jpg
xtian

Re: Peavey 6505 plus

Post by xtian »

Holy diver!

It's not hard to build a head cabinet. I mean, a box is a box, right? Of course, if you want it to look professional, that may take some learning.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Holy-moley! That's quite a find!
Building a box is not so hard, but harder than it looks. Your first one may not be what you want. You may want to just buy one. Google is your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ad+cabinet
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I see Pv is still using sawdust to make cabinets.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Looks like the chassis is for a combo cabinet with the tubes suspended? Particle board is not really much of an option here - like tubedude says it is basically wood chips/sawdust held together with glue. I would think a pine or poplar cabinet would be a good replacement. You could get by with butt joints backed by a piece if 1"x1" pine/poplar wood, held together with glue & screws. I have used blind rabbet joints. The hard part is covering with tolex.

Were the speakers pummeled too?
DucksFanDave

Post by DucksFanDave »

i got the amp running after i replaced the to 6L6 tubes and the original 12" speaker work still too and in perfect condition.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

DucksFanDave wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 pm i got the amp running after i replaced the to 6L6 tubes and the original 12" speaker work still too and in perfect condition.
great find :D

Peavey's from the '80's were really well made. I've taken two apart as donors for Dumbles. They were birch ply, finger jointed, all the internal connections were wrapped, great PCB boards and components.

I've made great cabinets with hand tools on in my garden so go fro it. Tolexing is the hard thing to lean but If you use black, rough tolex and paint the corners, inside of your cab black too it will hide any bad joints.

Watch the amplified nation tutorial first for how to do a full wrap and do the corners :D

M