Ods combo

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: Ods combo

Post by erwin_ve »

Today was woodfiller, sanding and routing the edges. Routing the edges was enjoyable, no mistakes and very good looking and smooth.
Then tolexing: I don't know if it was the temperature or the kind of glue but I had problems to get a good adhesive property.
Added to that I made a killer mistake when cutting the tolex on top.
I decided to repair that later, but I used all my glue, nothing left. So that will be a future repair.
What kind of glue do you guys use?
Attachments
WP_20190730_20_55_58_Pro.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Erwin,

When using Tweed or Suede the best method is to do like fender did and overlap the top and bottom sections. So basically you cut 4 pieces. Do the sides first then measure and cut the top /bottom pieces and lay them over the sides to check the overlap. Cut the side pieces so you have about 10-15mm overlap and apply some glue to the overlap. You can then place the top and after bottom pieces on the cabinet.

have a look at my second gen to see what i mean. you can see the top seam over the sides.
IMG_20190301_180533-01.jpeg

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:20 pm Erwin,

When using Tweed or Suede the best method is to do like fender did and overlap the top and bottom sections. So basically you cut 4 pieces. Do the sides first then measure and cut the top /bottom pieces and lay them over the sides to check the overlap. Cut the side pieces so you have about 10-15mm overlap and apply some glue to the overlap. You can then place the top and after bottom pieces on the cabinet.

have a look at my second gen to see what i mean.

IMG_20190303_144735-01.jpeg

M
Hi Marcus, This tweed is a lookalike tolex. It has the thickness of normal tolex, genuine tweed is a lot thicker. Do you still think it would be better to do the Fender way with this tolex?

Erwin
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

Hi Erwin,
For gluing tolex (and especially tweed), I use PVA glue. this glue very well holds any porous materials, and fabric basis of a toleks including. I pour it onto the surface, distribute with a brush, put the tolex and dispersed air bubbles with a roller. It is not a contact adhesive and takes some time to polymerize it. So I use a stapler to temporarily fixing the curved edges. I drive the staples in the inconspicuous parts of the cabinet. Not sure if this is a progressive method, but I'm so used to it )))
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Thank you Alkuz: pva glue is also wood glue (?)cheap and widely available, shopping time!
ericlc

Post by ericlc »

@alkuz1961
Yes, you are right regarding the grill cloth. This is an old picture from before I put the amp in. Currently the grill cloth is tight and does not have any waves. I might even have have put new grill cloth on. But thanks for the tip. This was my first cabinet. I learned a lot from building it. There are some things I would do differently now: routing, piping, tolexing, handle, wood selection. For a non-woodworker there is a lot to learn in this field.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

This glue right here is hands-down the best you can do for Tolex...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... h-adhesive

It's a little pricey but worth every single penny you spend on it. No odor, water cleanup... totally safe to use indoors. I put down a large piece of the paper construction floor runner and tolex cabinets on my large granite-topped kitchen island.

It is the same as Wilsonart H20 vinyl flooring glue if that is easy and/or cheaper for you to get in small quantities.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Erwin,

Sorry, it looks like real tweed :D If it's tolex then no, one piece should be fine, just do your seam at the bottom :D

I've been using tube town water based tolex glue. It's contact glue and has no odour, cleans up easily, again like @MakerDP says it's not cheap but worth every penny.

M
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

MakerDP wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:06 am This glue right here is hands-down the best you can do for Tolex...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... h-adhesive

It's a little pricey but worth every single penny you spend on it. No odor, water cleanup... totally safe to use indoors. I put down a large piece of the paper construction floor runner and tolex cabinets on my large granite-topped kitchen island.

It is the same as Wilsonart H20 vinyl flooring glue if that is easy and/or cheaper for you to get in small quantities.
I use this glue as well and it works great! I did not know it was the same as the Wilsonart H20 vinyl flooring glue, good to know!

Cheers
Guy
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Thanks guys for all the input, a few days music activities needs me step step away for this week. Next week I'll make another attempt at tolexing.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I re tolexed the upper part and used Pattex woodglue. Works like a charm! Much better for me than the servisol stuff.
The grillcloth is attached to the baffle.
For a first time cab build Im fairly happy with the outcome although I see room for improvement on different parts of the cab build.
Thanks all of you for your magnificent input, much of the advice was spot on.
Some pics:
Attachments
WP_20190805_18_27_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20190805_18_28_03_Pro.jpg
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Looks great Erwin. I am sure the bug has bitten and there will be more cabs to follow!
I used the same grill cloth as you did except I used a Sand Nubtex tolex and white piping.

Cheers

Guy