Ods combo

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Ods combo

Post by erwin_ve »

There is a first for everything. After building 10 amps and done none of the cabinetry myself, this is the first.
Bought a new car, oldest daughter going to university, wife and other daughter want holiday, this is going to be a low budget cab.
Wood is engineered timber(pine I think).
The sides are going to be glued and screwed.
Sides are almost ready.

Any suggestions? I'm a newbie on this, you can't offend my woodskills because I basically got none.

Erwin
Attachments
WP_20190722_16_22_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20190722_16_11_04_Pro.jpg
Colossal

Re: Ods combo

Post by Colossal »

Well, you are off to a good start so far!
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Advice. Watch your fingers!!!
Looks good. Tolex cures all sorts of ills.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Looks great Erwin! One thing I discovered after making a bunch of cabs is that I like the edges rounded more . I use to sand the 1/2 round over by hand by that took for ever, then I got a router and that made things much easier!

Its all personal taste anyway.

Congrats on your first cab and I am sure the bug will bite and there will be many more!
Cheers!
Guy
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

way to go Erwin :D

as cabinet/woodworking goes, speakers/combo's are very simple 'boxes' really.

make sure you leave enough room on front baffles/rear panels etc for your tolex and grill cloth/pipping.

screwing and gluing is fine, just countersink your screws and fill then sand smooth, then route edges.

make sure you sand down the corners properly or your metal corners wont fit :D

Tolex will cover a multitude of sins as mentioned above, however it's a skill in itself is Tolexing. I'd recommend using water based glue it's a lot easier to apply and is quite forgiving.

:D
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Thanks guys for all info!
Alkuz shared some tips with pics which made me want to do the edges with a router.
I asked around to borrow a router from local friends, and got lucky someone nearby has one.

A very well known dutch overdrive special builder has a batch of very cheap tweed tolex and matching grillcloth, local webshops asked double to triple the price he offered them for. Easy deal. :D

Marcus: what tolerances in mm do you keep on the panels with tweed tolex and grillcloth?

The local hardware stores offer a limited run of brands on the glue: mostly Bison and Pattex and I absoluteley have no idea which one to use from these brands except for the woodglue.
I bought tolexglue: servisol 120 which was advertised from a webshop with guitar amp parts.
If any of you have good dutch available glues for this let me know.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:38 pm Thanks guys for all info!
Alkuz shared some tips with pics which made me want to do the edges with a router.
I asked around to borrow a router from local friends, and got lucky someone nearby has one.

A very well known dutch overdrive special builder has a batch of very cheap tweed tolex and matching grillcloth, local webshops asked double to triple the price he offered them for. Easy deal. :D

Marcus: what tolerances in mm do you keep on the panels with tweed tolex and grillcloth?

The local hardware stores offer a limited run of brands on the glue: mostly Bison and Pattex and I absoluteley have no idea which one to use from these brands except for the woodglue.
I bought tolexglue: servisol 120 which was advertised from a webshop with guitar amp parts.
If any of you have good dutch available glues for this let me know.
Erwin, I've never done tweed :D I've done suede though which I suppose is the same thing/technique. I'd say 1mm each side for tolex on the sides and 1mm or the grill cloth and an extra 1mm for pipping so that's 6mm plus some wiggle room as well. It can be hard to gauge at times but if you don't allow enough then you're into pulling grill cloth,pipping off and sanding/sawing/planing the baffle down to fit.

M
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

I usually use these gaps for tolex and grill with piping
Attachments
2019-07-23_20-26-01.jpg
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

alkuz1961 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm I usually use these gaps for tolex and grill with piping
:D

if you're using hand tools like I do then you can't be that tight with tolerances as you'll find your cut's wont be 100% straight and the angles wont be 100% either so you need some 'wiggle room'

If you have table saw's etc and can cut perfectly it means you can work to tighter tolerances.

there is a wonderful sense of satisfaction though when you've made it all yourself, so I'd say it's worth the slight imperfections :D

M
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

Hi Marcus :)
Yes, I have a lot of different tools. But these are normal tools for hobbie and DIY. And I use a variety of snap-ins, which helps to do accurately and smoothly :roll:
It is important to use each tool to achieve the best result. In order to make a hole for the speaker, you can use an electric jigsaw. And the edge of the hole will be a little wavy. But if you use a router this hole will be perfect.
And the slot for the amplifier panel can be cut by the electric jigsaw as well. But if you use a template and a router, the result will be much better.
Attachments
01.JPG
8.JPG
13.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

that's a whole different level from my 'Ghetto' cab builds :D you have a garage!!!!!

one of the downsides of living in a big Expensive Capitol city...lack of SPACE........

M
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 am that's a whole different level from my 'Ghetto' cab builds :D you have a garage!!!!!

one of the downsides of living in a big Expensive Capitol city...lack of SPACE........

M
Marcus, unfortunately this is not my garage((( This is my friend's car service and he lets me work on the weekend.
But I'm talking about something else - the quality of work should not depend on the place. The quality depends on properly selected technology and instruments
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

alkuz1961 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 pm
norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 am that's a whole different level from my 'Ghetto' cab builds :D you have a garage!!!!!

M
Marcus, unfortunately this is not my garage((( This is my friend's car service and he lets me work on the weekend.
But I'm talking about something else - the quality of work should not depend on the place. The quality depends on properly selected technology and instruments
true, :D you have good tools though, a rail saw, router with jigs for joints, clamps etc i don't have that stuff :D I made my first cabinet with a jig saw and and electric drill/screwdriver , i sanded my edges round..took forever :D

nice dog in your avatar :D

it's 36 degrees here in London today..here's my dog in the studio with me in the air con :D
IMG_20190724_125930.jpg

M
rogb

Post by rogb »

That's the best place to be on a hot day, in Marcus's A/C studio with some great guitars and amps!
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I was outside today working on the cab with 38,5C (101F). Im soaked :P
Made the sides with wooden dowels, everything fits well. Waiting on the router from a friend.
Tools used sofar: Jigsaw, grater, sander, ruler, drill and dowel mold.
My dog was inside in front of the fan.
Attachments
WP_20190724_15_57_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20190724_15_21_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20190724_14_55_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20190724_14_51_13_Pro.jpg