Simple Q: Do 1x12 Cabs Typically Match Head Dimensions?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

burnsqc

Simple Q: Do 1x12 Cabs Typically Match Head Dimensions?

Post by burnsqc »

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if a D style 1x12 cab should match the dimensions of a paired ODS 100W style head, particularly the width.

Context:
I'm planning to build an ODS head some time soon, but I'll need to build the cab first. I recently got invited into a coworker's band, and as much as I'd like to I can't haul around my HiTone 4x12 to practice and gigs! :lol:
My plan is to build (or have someone build) a 1x12 cab that I will eventually pair with an ODS. I noticed with most stacks I see the amp and cab are the same width. Furthermore, I want to make sure I plan this all out really well, so are there accepted/verified dimensions for an authentic 1x12 cab, ODS head cab, and ODS chassis? I scoured a lot of fantastic research on this site and it seems some people go with the own interpretation of dimensions, which in no way diminishes the quality of their work. I've also seen a lot of chassis reproductions with various dimensions. I'd probably want to plan it all around the chassis, which would determine head cab size, which would then determine 1x12 cab size.

So basically, all the way downstream of the chassis dimensions, is there a recommended 1x12 cab size? Also, I'm open to suggestions for cab builders.

Thank you!
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance.
Nor did he fear the beast of fire.
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
Tony Bones

Re: Simple Q: Do 1x12 Cabs Typically Match Head Dimensions?

Post by Tony Bones »

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17999

I searched the Dumble Files section for "1x12" and that was the first thing that came up.
burnsqc

Post by burnsqc »

Thanks for the reply!

I had read that thread entirely before my post, and the cab plans are really cool, but I'm afraid that doesn't answer the question of matching the dimensions of the cab to the head. Were those plans that were found supposed to be the standard 1x12 that he produced, or were those a prototype/atypical? Were there any "standards" that were used for ODS dimensions/1x12 dimensions?

In theory I could put together a 1x12 of any size I wanted, but when I later down the road build an ODS I'd rather not have the cab be 1/2" wider than the head (or any dimension mismatch), UNLESS that's the way it was designed/intended. I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well, I don't have the experience that you guys have to be able to communicate my dilemma.
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

burnsqc wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:26 pm Thanks for the reply!

I had read that thread entirely before my post, and the cab plans are really cool, but I'm afraid that doesn't answer the question of matching the dimensions of the cab to the head. Were those plans that were found supposed to be the standard 1x12 that he produced, or were those a prototype/atypical? Were there any "standards" that were used for ODS dimensions/1x12 dimensions?

In theory I could put together a 1x12 of any size I wanted, but when I later down the road build an ODS I'd rather not have the cab be 1/2" wider than the head (or any dimension mismatch), UNLESS that's the way it was designed/intended. I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well, I don't have the experience that you guys have to be able to communicate my dilemma.
well work it the other way round then and look at the dimensions of the head shell builds :D

if you use a standards ODS Chassis from ceriatone/AN you'll be fine. It tends to be the depth that can vary on some of the chassis. i.e the Natchanis ones from Thailand.

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

When using wood thickness of 0,708 inch(18mm) you end up with 20,86 inch (530mm) width of the total cab.
Its based on the chassis dimension width which is 19 inch (483mm)+thickness of the wood+ thickness of the tolex(inside also, room for your chassis,!)+aluminium strip.
burnsqc

Post by burnsqc »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:44 pm well work it the other way round then and look at the dimensions of the head shell builds :D

if you use a standards ODS Chassis from ceriatone/AN you'll be fine. It tends to be the depth that can vary on some of the chassis. i.e the Natchanis ones from Thailand.
Fair statement. That's the tricky thing, because I feel like I have to work it from both directions to make sure everything comes together just right. I've seen that a lot of the chassis tend to have 19 x 8 x 2.5 dimensions. but I've also seen some other slightly different dimensions, particularly the ones listed in the #124 thread. I know each amp was a little different, but I'd also imagine there were some dimensions that were consistent for a short duration. I've seen plans for a headshell that are 20 5/8" wide outside width, but the plans listed above for the 1x12 indicate 20" wide outside width, and I think that might look a bit odd as a stack.

What I'm really trying to shoot for is an ODS with 1x12 that never was, but maybe could have been? If I ordered one in the early 80's with matching cab, what would you guys reckon the dimensions would be?

Thanks so much for all your help so far, this is pointing me in the right direction I think.
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I am not knowledgeable of the ODS designs, but I plan to separate my "Twin" clone, (it just gets heavier every time I pick it up). I plan on the head being the same width as the combo cab, but intend making the cab wider to accommodate the "piggyback" head hardware.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 pm When using wood thickness of 0,708 inch(18mm) you end up with 20,86 inch (530mm) width of the total cab.
Its based on the chassis dimension width which is 19 inch (483mm)+thickness of the wood+ thickness of the tolex(inside also, room for your chassis,!)+aluminium strip.
^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All three of these cabs and all 4 amps are 530mm wide within a few mm.
IMG_20190724_165332.jpg

M
burnsqc

Post by burnsqc »

This is starting to clear a lot of it up, and is very informative! I think the stack in the middle of the image is close to what I'm after in terms of design. It definitely looks more "correct" to me when the dimensions match like that.

It looks like the hand-drawn cab plans mentioned earlier in the thread may not have much bearing on what I'm trying to do, but that doesn't diminish their historical value and significance! If I followed those plans I think the cab would actually be a touch smaller than the head.

I can't thank you guys enough for chiming in with your expertise!
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

the 1x12 in the middle is a sealed ported 'Larry Carlton' cab with an EVM12. here's the build thread https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30229

The cab next to it is a 1x12 Celestion oval backed cab based on the 1x12 Dumble cab dimensions.

the first cab is the classic Robben ford Dumble oval back 2x12 with a pair of vintage Celestion G12-65's

M