!5 inch Speaker cabinet For Guitar

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

leegold

!5 inch Speaker cabinet For Guitar

Post by leegold »

Hi,

I am looking to get a guitar speaker cabinet with a 15inch speaker. I like the sound of 15 inch for guitar. Does anyone know of any kits or plans to build one. I see there's a Supro new one that looks great but wondered if there are more economical options? Thanks
brewdude

Re: !5 inch Speaker cabinet For Guitar

Post by brewdude »

leegold

Post by leegold »

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
andresound

Post by andresound »

EV TL606. I have built 2 of these, and they are great without being too large
Attachments
634505ED-0A23-4A29-A896-03B7421C344C.jpeg
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
leegold

Post by leegold »

Plan for a guitar oriented speaker cabinet would be good. This is vented and might not be for guitar. But this is the kind of thing I am looking for. Thanks.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

That EV plan is their recommended cabinet for a very specific guitar speaker they make. Whether or not it works well with another speaker is up for experimentation and is subjective.

I would go with building a box that matches the dimensions of the TRM cabinet linked. You can't go wrong with TRM's designs or just getting one built for you. He does fantastic work. I got an unfinished 3D cabinet that was beautifully made and I tolexed it myself. Great looking and sounding cabinet.

Well worth the money IMO.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

MakerDP wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:44 am. I got an unfinished 3D cabinet that was beautifully made and I tolexed it myself. Great looking and sounding cabinet.

I looked on his site and didn't see any model marked 3D. Is he offering something like a Forte cab?
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Colossal wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:34 am
MakerDP wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:44 am. I got an unfinished 3D cabinet that was beautifully made and I tolexed it myself. Great looking and sounding cabinet.

I looked on his site and didn't see any model marked 3D. Is he offering something like a Forte cab?

Yep... it's about one or two PgDn presses on this page... http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/index.html

Tolexing those small ovals on the side was a pain... my first attempt at it, but it went really really well. I took my time and it came out great!
NEW for 2018 is the addition of the pine 3D 112 side vented cabinets. These have a 3" x 11" oblong vent on either side of the cab. Angled panels inside at the rear project the sound from the rear of the speaker out towards the front producing a huge 3D like sound. You have the tight lowend sound of a closed back blended with the spacious surround like an opened back cabinet. Made from 3/4" select white pine with 1/2" birch baffle and rear panel. Outside dimensions are 21" wide x 17-1/2" high x 13" deep. Corners are reinforced with dovetailed joints. Cabinet is rear loading so you can attach grill cloth to the baffle without the need for a seperate grill frame.

FREE SHIPPING!

Price for the barebones unfinished cabinet is $234.95 shipped U.S. Please allow 3 weeks lead time before shipping.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

MakerDP wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:31 am Yep... it's about one or two PgDn presses on this page... http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/index.html

Tolexing those small ovals on the side was a pain... my first attempt at it, but it went really really well. I took my time and it came out great!
Ah, right on...I just overlooked it :?. Good to know about those cabs! I hate to go off topic, but how do you like it?
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

I really really like it. Goes great with my Trinity OSD w/ET65. I was really putting it through its paces last night. Sounds great with my tele and my PRS Single Cut. It really is a nice mix between the punch of a closed-back and the airyness of an open-back. Speaker probably isn't 100% broken-in yet either so should only get better. With the pine, it is surprisingly light too. One thing though, I have a hard time with grille cloth. I did the woven cane for this one and it just didn't come out right so I think I am going to take the speaker baffle and cane to an upholstery shop and have them wrap it on nice and tight for me.

I did it in Wine Taurus and put the cane over the side ovals from the inside too. It looks really sharp like that. I'll try and post some pics in the morning.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

MakerDP wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:27 am I really really like it. Goes great with my Trinity OSD w/ET65. I was really putting it through its paces last night. Sounds great with my tele and my PRS Single Cut. It really is a nice mix between the punch of a closed-back and the airyness of an open-back.
Thanks for that. Your description is very similar to others I've read as well as to the qualities of the detuned cab methodolgy. I do like that a 3D 1x12 is much more compact than a detuned 1x12 (essentially a 2x12 footprint). That said, I have been thoroughly enjoying a detuned 4x12. A very big sound, even at very modest volumes.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Yes I agree.... it is very much the detuned sound in a smaller package.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I had TRM build me a 2x8” vertical 3D style combo cab. I’m quite happy with it—it really spreads the sound around.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

funny you should mention that... i was thinking of asking him to do the same for me but in 2x10
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Here is the one he made for me.
I roasted the pine with a torch, then brushed away the ash, sanded smooth, oiled and waxed.
Attachments
138640B0-EC91-45F0-9F48-3260EB0360C3.jpeg