Impulse buy (Scumback M75-LD)...

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MakerDP

Impulse buy (Scumback M75-LD)...

Post by MakerDP »

I am a big fan of the WGS ET65 and was looking to try something different so I just on a whim ordered a Scumback M75-LD (65 watt version.)

Am I going to regret this purchase? From what I read they are a really good match for D-style amps. It will probably go in my TRM 3D/Forte cabinet since that is the cabinet that matches my D-style head.

I do like the fact that they break them in for you at the factory.
Last edited by MakerDP on Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Impulse buy...

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've not had one myself, but he's a member here and posts often, and from what I've heard, his speakers are top notch repro's of classic speakers. I may be missing more of what his mojo is, but he has it :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Jim makes great speakers - I have the M75 65 watt [2] and a pair of the J75LD 100 watt Scumbacks. I've been very satisfied with the tone with multiple amps for jazz, classic and hard rock with the occasional toe in the metal sludge. They are keepers.

At one point or another I've had 6 different manufacturers of speakers with 15 different models across 42 speakers - it is a journey.

Russ
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

lol... yeah. The quest for tone is quite a journey. I know SB speakers are held in extremely high regard. I'm just hoping it's not too similar to the ET65... I've already got two cabinets with those.

I got the speaker yesterday. Hopefully later today I'll have a better idea where I stand with it.

What got me looking at the Scumback was me looking to try something different and I was considering an Alnico Gold or a Creamback. I know it's a different animal from the AG but this speaker kept coming up in the Creamback discussions so I thought I'd give it a try.
MakerDP

Re: Impulse buy (Scumback M75-LD)...

Post by MakerDP »

Been playing it a bit this morning... wow what a nice speaker. Nice clear highs, punchier mid, nice firm bottom and it also seems slightly louder than my ET65 in the same cabinet (Avatar deep w/ oval back.)

Paired with my other new impulse buy... an Ibanez TSA15H that I got for an absolute song (very nice sounding amp) and my Deluxe Roadhouse Strat I am liking what I hear. Have not tried it with my D-Styles yet or my main setup.

I'd post the video I shot but my guitar was horribly out of tune and I was too lazy to tune it. :oops:

but yeah, so far I like it. Time will tell if I bond with it or not but I'll take it to practice tonight and see what's what with it on my main rig.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Great speakers!!
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

MakerDP, glad to hear the M75-LD is working out for you. Enjoy!
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Yeah thanks. It performed like a champ at rehearsal. I didn't drag my main rig out but I used that Ibanez head to see if I could get away with using it live and the whole package sounded really well together.

I was using three new components that night... the TSA15H, the SB and a new EHX Crayon I was trying out. All three sounded great together but I don't think the Ibanez head has enough ooomph to be my stage rig. Was great for practice but it's just not a very loud amp. I'm probably going to try some mods on it to increase the gain. Neither of the preamp stages are cathode-bypassed and the 2nd stage has a 47k cathode resistor... VERY low gain going into the PI. But it is sparkly clean all the way up to 10, which was what they were going for with this amp, and the integrated Tube Screamer circuit sounds fantastic. Makes for a great blues strat amp. But hey I only paid $105 for the amp so I can keep it for a practice rig or flip it for a modest profit.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

So... a followup... It's now in my main cab. LOVE this speaker. Sounds great with my custom AX84-inspired Simple20 (very Fenderish & my main amp) and sounds REALLY great with my D-style (Trinity OSD kit).

I may have him recone an old V30 that has a hole in the cone. Don't really care for V30's anyways... lol. I have this one and three more that I should probably just sell off to fund a new toy or two.