Celestion V-Type - Tell me about them

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Celestion V-Type - Tell me about them

Post by M Fowler »

Littlewyan wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 pm Does the Veteran wattage rating not concern you? What amps do you use it with? I suspect I will need to find a speaker that can handle 70-80W flat out
Well in your opening post you stated 40w amp so my suggestion for WGS Veteran 30 rated at 60w is more than enough.

I have used this WGS speaker in Rockets, JCM800 combo, Express combo and more.

I have also tried the Celestion Classic lead 80 in some higher gain Marshally combo but I preferred the WGS Veteran 30 to my ears and subjective taste.

Many Marshall guys locally prefer Celestion G12M or Celestion Alnico Gold.

Mark
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Apologies, I should have stated that it's 40W clean! It's going to be a master volume amp with a voltage divider on the master volume control, so the power amp won't be driven that hard, but I think it will still have the ability to push the power amp into clipping so I suspect it may kick out 70W with clipping! Do you run your Express into that Veteran without an attenuator?

I've watched various clips of the Classic Lead 80. It sounds nice, but I'm not sure it's really what I'm looking for. At the moment I'm thinking either the WGS ET65/ET90 or the Eminence Legend V1216.....
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

If I were in your position and had decided that the WGS ET65/ET90 was a good candidate, but a concern about power handling was the only thing keeping me from placing an order, then I would contact WGS to hear what they have to say. Give them the details of the amp you're building (TW Express?)...

They also have a forum, but I haven't spent any time there so I can't comment on its usefulness.
diddymix

Post by diddymix »

Littlewyan wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:28 pm I'm currently building a 1x12 40W Combo and need to find a suitable speaker for it. I love Greenbacks and so any high powered Greenback at a reasonable price (I'm on a budget) will do. The Celestion V-Type caught my eye, but I can't find enough on this speaker to make a decision. Has anybody used these with an old Marshall or Trainwreck? Do you know how they compare to Greenbacks? It was either the V-Type or the Eminence V1216.....
Hey, Ive used one with a Marshall 40W combo DSL.. Its a good speaker, I would say its actually quite neutral and broad sounding, almost like an EVM12L.. but with less power and a little crunchy. Nice speaker and pairs well with the Marshall sound
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I've emailed WGS and they suggested the ET90. So at the moment it's between the Eminence V1216 and the WGS ET90.

I know the Celestion V-Type is a good all round speaker, but I think I want something a bit quicker to go with this amp
Jered

Post by Jered »

If you guys havent tried the WGS Reaper I highly recommend it. Its WGS equivalent of the G12H30 but they have a Reaper HP (high power) 50 watt version. This one has excellent clean and can handle as much dirt as you can throw at it, fantastic speakers.
As stated earlier they can be found on reverb used/b stock for as low as $50, new $100.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I hate threads with no closure! I ended up buying the Eminence V1216 and I think it was a good choice! It’s like a slightly smoother Greenback with less snarly mids. I obviously couldn’t expect to replicate the sound of my 2x12 Heritage Greenback cab with a 1x12 Openback combo, so I’m happy with it! Put it this way, I did a music jamboree week with it and never once thought, I wish I had my 2x12 here. Also bear in mind, I voiced the amp using the 2x12.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Good to hear that it worked out, Ryan