Celestion V-Type - Tell me about them

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Celestion V-Type - Tell me about them

Post by Littlewyan »

I'm currently building a 1x12 40W Combo and need to find a suitable speaker for it. I love Greenbacks and so any high powered Greenback at a reasonable price (I'm on a budget) will do. The Celestion V-Type caught my eye, but I can't find enough on this speaker to make a decision. Has anybody used these with an old Marshall or Trainwreck? Do you know how they compare to Greenbacks? It was either the V-Type or the Eminence V1216.....
Faze

Re: Celestion V-Type - Tell me about them

Post by Faze »

V type handle more power than most greenbacks. They sound brighter to my ears. I perfer H type but the H type I have are from the 70's and so broken in and smooth on top. when I'm playing thru V Type , of which I have 2x 12 and 2 x 10 , they are maybe better for modern metal sounds , But I still prefer Green back ,M types, or H type to V type for my more bluesy sounds and breakup. IMO :mrgreen:

Repost Edit.
My Info is based on Vintage 30's which I thought were called V type. Ignore post reference to V Type. . I haven't stayed up on Celestions newer Speakers.
Last edited by Faze on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I definitely don't play metal :lol: I'm more classic rock or hard rock, going from ACDC to Motorhead. Would you not recommend them seeing as I like Greenbacks? Or do you think there are better Greenback alternatives?
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

If you are after Greenback sound, you should look into the WGS Green Beret and Invader.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Littlewyan wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:28 pm I'm currently building a 1x12 40W Combo and need to find a suitable speaker for it. I love Greenbacks and so any high powered Greenback at a reasonable price (I'm on a budget) will do. The Celestion V-Type caught my eye, but I can't find enough on this speaker to make a decision. Has anybody used these with an old Marshall or Trainwreck? Do you know how they compare to Greenbacks? It was either the V-Type or the Eminence V1216.....
its a nice budget speaker, representing a cross between a greenback g12m and a vintage 30. the low end is tighter than a g12m but not as tight as a g12h or v30. the top-end is smooth, so it works the best with bright sounding amps like an express. the response is a little slow, so I prefer it with an aggressive amp like an express. It is very nice for sololing but less than optimal for tight riffs
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Hmm the slowness sounds a bit off putting for me. The amp I'm building is going to have a Plexi sound, but also the ability to crank the gain to get into high gain territory! So maybe I'm better off with a G12H-75 or the Eminence V1216, which from what I've read and also heard on a few clips is sort of similar to a Greenback sound

MakerDP - I need a higher wattage handling than a standard Greenback, otherwise I would just buy a standard Greenback :lol:. An ET65 or ET90 might do the trick though...
Roe

Post by Roe »

its not too bad but not an unforgiving speaker like an v30 or evm12l
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Littlewyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 am

MakerDP - I need a higher wattage handling than a standard Greenback, otherwise I would just buy a standard Greenback :lol:. An ET65 or ET90 might do the trick though...
The WGS Invader is supposed to be the "higher wattage Green Beret." But yeah an ET65 might fit the bill too but they are closer to a G12H-65 than a Greenback but I'm a big ET65 fan - I have two cabinets with them. Are you aware you can buy WGS "b-stock" speakers directly from WGS on reverb.com? Usually customer returns so some great value can be found there.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Thanks Roe, I'll keep it in mind. I'm trying to make this amp as flexible as possible, so the V-Type could be a very good balanced speaker.

And thanks MakerDP, unfortunately I don't live in America. You guys have all the good stuff! :lol: I'm going to wait until I've finished the amp so I can measure its power at full volume. That will then determine what I can and can't have! It'll be a 2xEL34 amp running at 430V with 6.6K OT, so I suspect at full whack it'll be kicking out roughly 70W.....
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I use WGS Veteran 30 in most amps.

Mojotone B30 are good too.

Mark
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Roe wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:47 am
its a nice budget speaker, representing a cross between a greenback g12m and a vintage 30.
That's a my view as well. Had one in a DSL 40CR that was stock also swaped in a Creamback 65 and wasn't sure what I liked better with the amp.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Do you use them in 1x12s Mark? I'm just worried about the power rating

RockinRocket - What's your view on the Creamback 65? I had an 8Ohm pair a few years back and hated them, they had way too much bottom end and hardly any top end compared to an actual Greenback. But I read a post from Jim at Scumback saying that they've changed the design a few times, so I wonder if I had one of the early versions.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Littlewyan wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:16 am Do you use them in 1x12s Mark? I'm just worried about the power rating
Yes I use the WGS Veteran 30 in 1x12 combo amps they are 60w rated.

The Mojotone in 4x12 cabinet.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Does the Veteran wattage rating not concern you? What amps do you use it with? I suspect I will need to find a speaker that can handle 70-80W flat out
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

get yourself a Celestion Classic lead 80, great speaker..not expensive. I've used them a lot. Sounds great in a 1x12 cab.

I used the classic lead 80 for this 'Express' rig that's currently sat next to Eric Claptons Tweed Dumble :D it's a ported closed back 1x12
IMG_20190808_174510-01 (1).jpeg

M