Celestion BN12 300S 21st C replacement for EVM 12

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Celestion BN12 300S 21st C replacement for EVM 12

Post by norburybrook »

Thought I'd post this here.

Just finished an ODS combo and wanted to keep weight down so rather than my traditional EVM12 speaker I tried the BN12 300S speaker which is 300w and only weighs 4lb.

Great speaker, has the power handling and tone of the EVM but is half the price and less than half the weight.

Well done Celestion a new speaker that hit's all the right notes!

M
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Celestion BN12 300S 21st C replacement for EVM 12

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh that's one of the newer neodymium magnet ones. I hear they're way lighter than ceramic which is already way lighter than AlNiCo. Glad to hear you like the tone.

Edit: additional question. It's seemingly called a 'Bass Speaker' is that the right one? Do bass speakers still work well for the higher frequencies like this usage?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

I'd imagine it would make a better guitar speaker than bass speaker
reminds me of https://celestion.com/product/25/herita ... es_g12h55/

for 12" bass speaker i don't think you could do much better than eminence kappalite 3012 (i have the 3015 in a bass cab and it's killer). over twice the xmax https://www.parts-express.com/eminence- ... uctDetails
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

thetragichero wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:39 pm I'd imagine it would make a better guitar speaker than bass speaker
reminds me of https://celestion.com/product/25/herita ... es_g12h55/

for 12" bass speaker i don't think you could do much better than eminence kappalite 3012 (i have the 3015 in a bass cab and it's killer). over twice the xmax https://www.parts-express.com/eminence- ... uctDetails
Very cool, thanks.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Here is the specifications doc.

Celestion B12 300S.pdf
(434.82 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thanks, Marcus.

I just ordered an Eminence Legend EM12N, which is a neo version of the EM12L, only 5 pounds. We'll see!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Roe

Post by Roe »

there is also the copperback, celestion's new neo guitar speaker. It combines the traditional celestion voicing with higher power handling and some evm-qualities. the copperback is supposedly brighter sounding than the em12n
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:33 pm Thought I'd post this here.

Just finished an ODS combo and wanted to keep weight down so rather than my traditional EVM12 speaker I tried the BN12 300S speaker which is 300w and only weighs 4lb.

Great speaker, has the power handling and tone of the EVM but is half the price and less than half the weight.

Well done Celestion a new speaker that hit's all the right notes!

M
I'm curious - back in 2014 when I was still deep in the 'lighter / smaller' speaker cab hunt I spoke with a Celestion rep at the Dallas Amp show. He told me that the jazz players really liked their neo offerings but the rock guys weren't as thrilled. Something about 'glassy' cleans if I remember correctly. What is your experience and are you playing with much OD?

Russ
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Roe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am there is also the copperback, celestion's new neo guitar speaker. It combines the traditional celestion voicing with higher power handling and some evm-qualities. the copperback is supposedly brighter sounding than the em12n
Roe,

Celestion sent a copper back to try as well but none of us liked it. It had NO bottom end at all and therefore seemed really bright

@Russ,

we tried the speaker in my combo only on OD as that's how Alan Darby uses his 'Dumble' amps so we had his 3 set up to give us an AB comparison. It faired very well agaisnt the 3 we tried. A Celestion cream alnico, a Fane Alnico and the EVM12. The EVM was in a sealed ported cab which obviously changes the sound somewhat but even so, the BN12 300s sounded great.

It's still very new so I'm going to reserve full judgement for a few weeks but initially it's a good speaker.

M
Roe

Post by Roe »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 am
Roe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am there is also the copperback, celestion's new neo guitar speaker. It combines the traditional celestion voicing with higher power handling and some evm-qualities. the copperback is supposedly brighter sounding than the em12n
Roe,

Celestion sent a copper back to try as well but none of us liked it. It had NO bottom end at all and therefore seemed really bright
its supposed to be bright, but perhaps not that bright. others have had more luck. perhaps you got a bad one?
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Roe wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:52 pm
norburybrook wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 am
Roe,

its supposed to be bright, but perhaps not that bright. others have had more luck. perhaps you got a bad one?
We had a few different speakers to test against and Celestion were sending them to us for free fortunately but the copperback just didn't suit the ODS amps at all. It was more the complete lack of bottom end everyone noticed, perhaps that might change with break in but generally I find it the high end that changes with break in.

Who knows :D it was good to be able to try them though and I'm happy with the BN12 I now have in the combo.

The Alnico cream works really well too and I use those too, and not a heavy speaker either.

One of our Amp maker friends is experimenting at the moment with this

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speak ... l=Maverick

he said its sounding and working really well.

I might start a new thread.

M
Roe

Post by Roe »

thanks, the eminence em12n is also supposed to work well with overdrive special type amps
4x12" w/H75s
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Love the BN 12 a ton. The Neo Creamback is outstanding also, especially in lower poweredamps where 300 watts of speaker would be overkill.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Update:

After a week or so of this Celestion BN12 Ive come to conclusion that on clean its great but there's just something I don't quite like on OD. The top end is a bit fizzy and I've been AB-ing against my Alnico cream and I much prefer that. The Alnico is NOT the NEO version but the standard and although not as light as the neo its still a fairly light speaker.

Not sure if the Celestion will break in or if that's the sound of the neo speakers. I know Russ mentioned about this and I'm now hearing what I think the 'rock' guys were hearing with the OD fizz on top of the note.

M
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

my experience with guitar speakers is that i have no idea how it really sounds until I've broken it in for 24-48 hours with an mp3 player into a solid state pa at low volume. sound way too trebly and harsh until then
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.