Satellite Barracuda cab refinish

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Satellite Barracuda cab refinish

Post by Geeze »

Yep, still on the refinish kick. This was an early cab for me and received an oil finish which I've come to dislike as it dulls and obscures the wood figure. I also have gotten better at round overs and wanted to bring this cab up to code. Unlike the cherry refinish I use spray lacquer even though it has some reactive issues [soft plastics] it is the most forgiving and easy finish I've found to date.
P5160025.JPG
Sanded to 220 and 6 - 8 coats of lacquer
PB170333.JPG
PB170334.JPG
I also added a back which I don't normally do and dressed it up with a string box cut with a piece of maple - a nod to the Satellite logo. I left the corner as it appealed to me.
PB190338.JPG
PB190339.JPG
Rather than attach it with screws I'm contemplating neo magnets to hold it on. Anyone here do that?

Russ
statorvane

Re: Satellite Barracuda cab refinish

Post by statorvane »

That cab & refin is drop dead gorgeous! 8)
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Worlds better! Looks like a different species it's so good.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Awesome looking cabs ,What type of oil did you dislike,just curious.Ive been tempted to try some laquar.I have a HVLP setup but Im guessing I have to get some type of a spray booth rig to keep the dust out.Your cabs look really nice. :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

ampmike wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:33 pm Awesome looking cabs ,What type of oil did you dislike,just curious.Ive been tempted to try some laquar.I have a HVLP setup but Im guessing I have to get some type of a spray booth rig to keep the dust out.Your cabs look really nice. :D
Thank you ampmike! I used boiled linseed / mineral spirits mixture in the beginning of cab building as other finishes weren't as easy or forgiving as oil. You can steam out a ding / scratch, sand the raised grain flat and wipe oil on the fixed spot with no evidence you were there. As I graduated to more figured wood builds gloss was the key to revealing the nuances and oil wasn't good at that when it cured.

So I started to experiment - confession time- everything I do is an experiment - either the design / finish or the fixes on the FUBARs.

I considered a HVLP rig but am a lazy cheap ass so I started with a brush on the lacquer and did quite a number of cabs with it. Very forgiving and easy to fix the occasional drip/sag that doesn't flow out flat. I tried spray poly which is a more water resistant finish but more work [wet sanding] as it doesn't flow out like lacquer. I buy the rattle can Minwax gloss lacquer and when it's empty toss it away. 0000 steel wool for the few nibs if necessary.

I've sprayed in my second bedroom [plastic on everything] or cover a large area in the shop - wait a day for the dust to settle - and spray there. Ventilation seems to cause more debris issues in my limited experience. I do use a vapor level dual filter mask as I want to keep the few brain cells I have left.

My father and I built a curly maple / walnut box while he was here for Christmas and I'm fixing a few fubars and finish sanding today. Lacquer tomorrow evening after work. I'll ship it to him when it's finished.

Russ
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Wow,they look really nice,Thanks ,Happy New Year Russ :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

Beautiful work! :D