single 12" speaker for 6V6 plexi

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Scumback Speakers

Re: single 12" speaker for 6V6 plexi

Post by Scumback Speakers »

pjd3 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 am And I was surprised the guy from Scumback recommended the 65 watt version in fear that my 20 watt plexi could fire up a 25 watt. Maybe it could on a bad night. Or a too good night!

Thanks again guys,

Phil PJD3
The reason I recommended the 65w version is because my guess is your dual 6V6 amp is a push/pull design. These amps can put out 22-25w clean, and well over 30w when cranked or boosted with OD pedals/fuzz/etc. That's going to run on the ragged edge of power handling for the H75-PVC 25w Kraft voice coil speaker, whereas the 65w nomex version has the extra power to handle those pedals.

No one likes the smell of fried voice coils! LOL

Jim
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks Jim and Yes,

Push-pull it is and with an OT meant for a pair of 6L6 so, I don't expect the low end to soften up when pushed.

Nope. Never want to fry up a nice speaker!

Best,
Phil PJD3
I’m only one person (most of the time)
Snicksound

Post by Snicksound »

pjd3 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 am Thanks guys, I have done some good listening and have found a few contenders from Celestion, WGS and Scumback, even Eminence seemed to have one or two at least checking out.

Just learning about the history, models and versions of Celestions alone as well as listening been very interesting for sure. and, I have alot more listening to do which I'm looking forward to. Its a great quest. I"m amazed at both the differences and the similarities between all the British speakers. For some reason, I find them more interesting to compare than with the American speakers. I hear alot of different sonic "stuff" in the British voices. Now, to see how close I can get to finding a speaker that I think will best cover 2-3 decades of marshally tones with a decent level of satisfaction.

And I was surprised the guy from Scumback recommended the 65 watt version in fear that my 20 watt plexi could fire up a 25 watt. Maybe it could on a bad night. Or a too good night!

Thanks again guys,

Phil PJD3
After trying many different speakers with my 6V6 Plexi, I ended up with a Celestion Creamback 65W so I'm not surprised. I did use a 20W Heritage Greenback for a while with no issue, but my amp is cathode biased so likely under 20W. I just fell out of love with it after getting the Creamback and comparing it.

I just don't think those 20-25W speakers sound that great when running just one, at least not for a Marshall type of sound (can work well in a Vox, surprisingly cool with a Princeton type of circuit). The more powerful Creamback gives me that big amp sound in a smaller package because of its stouter low end and more subdued top end.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks for chiming in Snicksound. I've been actually taking an interest in the Creamback 65. It appears to be fairly flexible in tone and doesn't seem to exacerbate any particular frequencies, too terribly. I do like the Classic Lead 80 in many ways but, it does make me wanting for a little more of that warmer thing that is heard in Greenbacks, that nice frothy juicy thing. The Creamback 65 seems to offer a bit more of that with out rolling off highs too too much. I decided I do want a little of that searing high thing that especially makes solos scream out a bit, like a Van Halen tone element. The hard thing is 80% of the British speakers have something I appreciate but, I have to find that 1 x 12" openback compromise in keeping with my little plan. And yeah, that Creamback could be it. I do have a Celestion V30, the one I took out of the Bogner Alchemist. And they have a certain something about them that would work in some styles. I just don't consider their sound to be a flexible sound. I actually like the Celestion G12-35X that I've heard but, they don't make those anymore! Best! Phil Donovan
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Also, I think the recommendation from Jim for the Scumback H75-PVC is also in the running but, still have to wonder if the Scumback J75 would be more versatile for covering 3 decades of Marshall sounds. Its tough when you have to at some point come to a decision between what you personally like and what will work better for the service of your classic rock band!

Phil