1x12 cabinet suggestion for V-30 style speaker

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

brewdude

1x12 cabinet suggestion for V-30 style speaker

Post by brewdude »

I have a WGS clone of a V-30 speaker that was in a small open back cabinet and has always sounded like crap to me—kind of constipated and boomy.

I would like to find a cabinet that will let the speaker shine. I tried it in my D-style 1x12 with an oval ported back, but it seemed too bright with no bass to even the response. I suspect that it might be better suited for a closed back cab, but I’ve never owned such a cab.

Does anyone have some experience to share with a similar speaker?
Can you recommend a suitable cabinet? Open, or closed, or ported?
How about dimensions to build one with proper volume or port size, etc?
alkuz1961

Re: 1x12 cabinet suggestion for V-30 style speaker

Post by alkuz1961 »

I builded several different cabinets for the V30. And they were very different types boxes, but they always sounded good, including low frequencies.
For example, it can be Bogner CUBE, as ported box, or Cornford Harlequin/Carrera, as semi open back.
And of course you can build an cab according to the drawings of TL-806. With V30 speaker it sounds very good

Unfortunately, I don't have any easy-to-read drawings for these cabs right now. But if you want to assemble any of them, I can prepare all the necessary drawings
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have a preference for one type of design over the others?
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

brewdude wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:32 pm Do you have a preference for one type of design over the others?
I really like the CUBE. It is small, light and sounds good.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Hi Brew.

I've got a crappy solid state bass combo I was given that I installed a V30 speaker into. I use it for dummy load re-amping, but also put a speaker jack on the back so I could plug direct into it as well. The couple of other speakers I've got didn't sound great in it, but with the V30 it sounds phenomenal. It's awkwardly deep but otherwise quite compact. There's a panel separating between the speaker cavity and the room at the top for the SS amp chassis, so the actual speaker cavity volume isn't that much.

These are the only sites with a photo of it that I could find.
https://www.liolios.gr/shop-products/mo ... utis-mpaso
https://www.yapo.cl/antofagasta/instrum ... 337558.htm

Internal dimensions of the speaker cavity are 17" wide x 13" high x 9.5" deep. It has two front ports which measure 60mm dia just cut in the 19mm thick baffle. The whole thing is heavy 19mm MDF. I did cut a 13.5" x 2.25" slot in the panel between the speaker and amp cavities behind the SS amp chassis. It didn't make a lot of difference. Normally speaker cabs this small sound boxy but with the ports and a V30 it's perfectly balanced.

I actually have a dilemma in that I am thinking about rebuilding my 18 Watt head into a smaller chassis and making it a combo with the V30 and a similarly sized cab. Ideally I'd like to adjust the dimensions a bit keeping the inside volume the same. In theory for a ported cab that shouldn't make any difference, but I'm worried I'll build a new one and it won't sound as good.

Smaller than the Bogner Cube, but I'm intrigued with the sound of that too.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I’m leaning toward a TL806 design after hearing it sounds good.
And it could be a future excuse to buy an EV speaker... which would then leaving me needing another cabinet... :wink:

It may be a while before I can justify spending any money.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

brewdude wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 am I’m leaning toward a TL806 design after hearing it sounds good.
And it could be a future excuse to buy an EV speaker... which would then leaving me needing another cabinet... :wink:

It may be a while before I can justify spending any money.
I've a TL cab but unless you have a very small amp head nothing fits on top of it :) I know that's a silly thing :) It's also incredibly heavy as there's so much 3/4 ply goes into all the porting and internal baffling and then once you've put an EVM12 in it's the heaviest speaker I own, more than 2x12 cabs or 4x10 marshalls.

I think the sound of a regular sealed ported 1x12 is just as good to be honest and it's easier to make and adjust the dimensions, keeping the required volume.

M
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for the practical advice... So, you suggest a sealed ported cab for a V30?
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

norburybrook wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:33 am I've a TL cab but unless you have a very small amp head nothing fits on top of it :) I know that's a silly thing :) It's also incredibly heavy as there's so much 3/4 ply goes into all the porting and internal baffling and then once you've put an EVM12 in it's the heaviest speaker I own, more than 2x12 cabs or 4x10 marshalls.

I think the sound of a regular sealed ported 1x12 is just as good to be honest and it's easier to make and adjust the dimensions, keeping the required volume.

M
Markus, I already wrote in some topic about change the overall dimensions of the TL-cab. To do this, just keeping its internal volume and port size unchanged. Also you can get rid of extra bars present in the standard drawing. This will significantly reduce its weight. But do not forget to subtract their volume from the total internal volume of the cabinet, when changing the size.
TL is an ordinary ported cabinet, but it can withstand the weight of a tractor)))
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

LOL...a tractor :D that's true :)

If anyone is in the UK they can have my TL cab for free if they want..unloaded of course. I have too many speakers, I 've been building matching cabs for every amp I've made!!!!

M
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

The Bogner Cube and it's clone, the Crate Blue Voodoo B112V. I have 2 of the Crates. Excellent!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......