Fiddleback Maple JMP 2203 headshell

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Fiddleback Maple JMP 2203 headshell

Post by dorrisant »

statorvane wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:46 am So let me get this straight. You freehand routed the script? Very freakin' cool. 8)
I'd bet that the test "M"s are done freehand by router but the facia was done with a template.

Did I win?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Geeze wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 pm In a moment of desperation I swiped it with acetone and viola there it is.
For reasons you wouldn't expect, this made my day. Viola is a women's name or a stringed instrument that is larger than a violin. Voila is the French word that is really a spacer word like "um" but that is often taken to mean something like, "there it is." So, "viola there it is" is actually very funny if you think about it.

As always, nice cab! Stunning look to it.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

dorrisant wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 pm
statorvane wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:46 am So let me get this straight. You freehand routed the script? Very freakin' cool. 8)
I'd bet that the test "M"s are done freehand by router but the facia was done with a template.

Did I win?
Free hand on a pencil lined drawing. I made a paper template to keep the proportions correct - though I was chastised for the sagging L at the end. Once you figure out to keep the bit cutting normally vs. 'climb' milling [where the bit pulls the cutter into the material] it's not all that hard.

Russ
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Very ballsy router work. That's where I would forkup and need an emergency repair method to save the work... and have to stat over. Great looking cab!
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm Very ballsy router work. That's where I would forkup and need an emergency repair method to save the work... and have to stat over. Great looking cab!
Agreed
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm Very ballsy router work. That's where I would forkup and need an emergency repair method to save the work... and have to stat over. Great looking cab!
Thus the 'art' in woodworking - artfully fixing the f*ckups.

The '77 got the nod for the new home as it sounds great.
Old shell.jpg
I use many templates and fixtures for hole placement and drilling.
Drill guide.jpg
I use the chassis for hole alignment.
Chassis.jpg
Installed. Still have some tweakery to do - line the bottom of the headshell for RF.
New shell 3.jpg
New shell 2.jpg
On to the next project.

Russ
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

New camera day - subjects already posed.
P6280685.JPG
P6280683.JPG
Russ
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Some new faceplates are in order. The gold detracts from the beautiful woodwork. Black or brushed silver maybe, or RED.
Stellar work!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Don't listen to him! Red and gold = classic. Go 9ers!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

heh heh. Now red and black! Classic. Go Falcons!
Thermionic/EL-34

Post by Thermionic/EL-34 »

Pretty snazzy no doubt but im partial to Marshall.

I lucked out & got a decent one but ive had several.
t8bloom

Post by t8bloom »

Geeze, your design on this is awesome! Would you be willing to share your designs, or generally what you did to recreate this so well? I just love it! Thanks!
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

t8bloom wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:23 pm Geeze, your design on this is awesome! Would you be willing to share your designs, or generally what you did to recreate this so well? I just love it! Thanks!
Practice practice and the willingness to experiment. As my wood mentor says when asked how he is able to create such beautiful acoustic guitars - 'Because I'm willing to f*ck sh*t up on the way to here. My approach to woodworking can be summed up with one word - BANZAI!

The first part is the inspiration - typically a two pronged event in no particular order. I find an amp that needs beautification and / or I find a stunning piece of wood and think 'With that I can build...' Then it's off to the races. I belonged to a guitar builders guild in Dallas TX [Guys Building Guitars] and we would exhibit at two major shows in the area one being the Dallas International Guitar Festival. Being the amp guy I would be tasked with building cabs that would attract attendees to stop at our booth.

A general target is selected and I figure out volume / clearances and if it needs to be sized to work with other gear. Marshall heads are typically 29.5" wide 8" deep with some variation in height subject to model. The construction is pretty straight forward with the exception of the details. I don't like plastic so if there are corner protectors I sub in walnut and have been refining the shape and installation over the last six years. I also like to sub contrasting wood strips for the piping. In the last couple of years I've taken to milling in the logo to remove the last plastic bits.

What's new is the PRS style two tone finish I've been experimenting with so I can use it on a set neck guitar kit I'm fumbling about with. It's figured top is only ,025" so the usual method of 'Oh, I don't like THAT - sand that sh*t off and try again' wasn't possible.

I have documented many of my builds in this forum. Some plain some deranged. To sum up I generally start with a vision and beat on it until it's close.

Russ
Tone Lover

Post by Tone Lover »

Absolutely fantastic. Love it